Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am not getting power to my fuel pump on a 85 GL1200. Where is the relay located that powers the pump? Suggestions on where elth I should be looking would be apprecated. pump works if I feed it 12V from the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I don't know how it's wired but you can try out the manuals that are on this site. Sould be under "General motorcycle" page saying something to indicate manuals.

Also, nice to have you on board. If someone knows where that relay or whatever controls it is, they'll be along soon.

EDIT...................

Go here.... http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/21054.html

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum.

On the 1200 Interstate, the fuel pump is fed from the LT side of one of the coils, the right one when sat on the bike if my memory serves, but check ! this pulse is fed to the fuel pump relay which I think is sat between the coils under the front of the fake tank once the fake tank is off you can follow the wires.........

So the pump only operates every time that coil fires the spark plugs on two of the cylinders, in other words it dosn't have a constant live 12v.
to quickly check the pump works, follow the wire from the pump up to a connector behind the plastic drip tray for the gas tank filler, disconnect it and run a temp 12v supply to the pins (TAKING ALL APPROPRIATE PRECAUTIONS) the pump should run, you may have to start the engine or disconnect the carb supply line and place it into a container (if you do it this way you can measure the pump output) as the pump will stop when the carb bowls are full.

Hope this helps
Johno

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A warm welcome to the site Craig. :waving:

The manuals that Wing-Rider mentions are the second item down in the sticky section of the "reference and FAQ" forum, kindly offered by one of the members.

Enjoy the site and hope you sort that pump issue easily enough.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I agree- the pump is fed from the coil. You only get power to the Pump if the enging is being cranked on the starter or actually running. Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.