Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Fuel pump on my 1981 gl1100 is leaking from a small hole build on the pump do i have to replace it or can i repair it. thanks any information will help.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I guess the diaphragm is damaged. I think it can not be found as a spare part, but just the whole pump.

Welcome to the forum!:waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

ok thanks did take it apart from the top were the diaphragm is but was not sure if it came out,it was not torn so it must be damaged in side. will start looking for another one.have a great day.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Just wondering if anyone's found a way to either repair these diaphrams or make new ones.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

I have replaced the diaphragm in mine but it is a pain in the butt to do. You grind the top of the shaft to remove the old diaphragm, drill and tap the shaft and install new one. I tore a old auto pump down that wasn't leaking but would like to find a source for new material.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

I converted my 1100 to an electric pump 2 years ago with great results. Do a search to find the thread. Total cost was about $60 USD.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

You don't necessarily need to have a tear in the diaphragm material for it to leak from the weep hole. It could have hundreds of small cracks that arevirtually invisiblyin the rubber material, become saturated throughout and work more like a dripping wet sponge causing the leak. I've pics somewhere on here of what I'm talking about. I'll look for 'em.

Rebuilding one is more effort than the worth I get out of the process, but it's definitely doable. I run a rebuilt pump as a back-up until I hit the 10K mile benchmarkwith theelectric pump I use. A "Mr. Gasket" 2-4 psi pump with no external regulator, but I run a single carband have no experience inusing it with the factory rack of carbs (should work fine though, I think). Almost 9K miles with no problems,failuresor worry.

PM RB. He might be able to help if you cannot find another one. eBay is a gamble IMO on these pumps.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I use regular greese on top and bottom of the diaphragm.. It works for about 3-4 month and then have to do it again.. I am working on a solution for the diaphragm now.. Ill let you guys know the results...

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

this became a good topic thanks again for all who answered will look for another pump and well check on electric pump.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The pump can be rebuilt if you have a replacement diaphragm. As said above it's not hard but requires some time and effort..grind off the rivet head, remove top plate and diaphragm, drill and then tap the shaft, install new diaphragm and little bolt/washer to fit.

I have diaphragms I will sell $10.50 including mailing. They are viton the best material to use should last another 30 years.

I have rebuilt about 6 of these..only one leaked..because I didn't flatten out the top plate(I bent it taking it off..only made that mistake once) the rest are working fine as far as I know. The good part is once they are rebuilt you can replace the diaphragm easily.. of course you shouldn't need to for 30 years.

If you want to try it I can give you the specs for the tap and bolt to use. It's best to have a drill press to drill the shaft..must be straight and it's a small shaft. I have been charging $45 to rebuild..you send your pump and I send a replacement..or rebuild yours, up to you.

New one at western honda $75 plus shipping

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
The pump can be rebuilt if you have a replacement diaphragm. As said above it's not hard but requires some time and effort..grind off the rivet head, remove top plate and diaphragm, drill and then tap the shaft, install new diaphragm and little bolt/washer to fit.

I have diaphragms I will sell $10.50 including mailing. They are viton the best material to use should last another 30 years.

I have rebuilt about 6 of these..only one leaked..because I didn't flatten out the top plate(I bent it taking it off..only made that mistake once) the rest are working fine as far as I know. The good part is once they are rebuilt you can replace the diaphragm easily.. of course you shouldn't need to for 30 years.

If you want to try it I can give you the specs for the tap and bolt to use. It's best to have a drill press to drill the shaft..must be straight and it's a small shaft. I have been charging $45 to rebuild..you send your pump and I send a replacement..or rebuild yours, up to you.

New one at western honda $75 plus shipping

Can you send me 2 diaphrams to France?
Please let me know the postage.
P.Havas
12 Rue Montalivet
75008, France.

I'll pay via Paypal.

Cheers,
Zaphod

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts