Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The picture below is the electrical end of the fuel pump for an 85 1200-A. I want to check the pump for rust/sludge because the fuel filter I replaced was sofull of it. I mistakenly opened the electrical end to see if there were a clue there to opening the mechanical end. Before I got the cover completely off, the plastic spacer(?)-- at 5 o'clock position -- fell out.

1. 1. Could someone tell me where the spacer goes and how it's oriented?

2. 2. Is there a way to open up the mechanical end to look for wear, etc?

3. 3. How would you go about ensuring that it's clean in there?
  4. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I agree. It also doesn't look like something that would be inside the fuel pump. Looks more like an external clip. Is it metal or plastic? It looks like the wire at 5:00 already has a metal clamp on it. What is that gray thing about the 3:00 position? That clip looks like it was designed to hold a larger wire or object to a smaller wire. When you put the end back on, where does that wire that goes to the gray thing go to? I'm just assuming that the large wire to the far right is the only external wire, when it is all buttoned up. Is there a screw that goes in the hole at the 12:00 position? What about the one at about the 1:00 position?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I concure- I don't know- but agree it looks like some kind of wire clip/retainer. I never took mine apart, i just shook it and let clean fuel pump thru it too make sure it came out clear with no sediment in it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I think if you look around the front calipers you will find wire clips that look just like the one in the pic.

Bob

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jerry, Bob, Jim and Dennis:

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I can now finish putting everything back together to see how it runs. I did get somefairly dark gasout of the pump, which is sitting in a clear bottle so I can check the sediment tomorrow.

JerryH wrote:
Is it metal or plastic? It looks like the wire at 5:00 already has a metal clamp on it. It does.
The "spacer" is plastic. And it does look like a clip to hold wires. It fell on the floor, near where I was working, just as the cover came off, but maybe itis a fugitive clip that came from that area. I'll check that out.
What is that gray thing about the 3:00 position? When you put the end back on, where does that wire that goes to the gray thing go to?
The gray thing at 3:00 is a confusing view of a connector on the end of a ground (I think) wire. The connector is attached to the outside of the pump by the screw that holds the cover on. In screws into the hole at 12:00.
What about the one at about the 1:00 position? Don't have anything to screw into that hole.
Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know how it runs.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, I got the pump back together and now have new fuel lines from the tee just after the fuel pump all the way back to the petcock. I blew out everything I could from the pump after draining it. Just got a little more rusty looking gas.

One of the reasons I wanted to get a look at the mechanical end was because of a ticking that I just noticed was coming from it.The cover for the mechanical end is crimped on to the electrical end and does not seem to be designed for removal.

I gotthe bikestarted very easily and it idled and revved just fine, but the ticking is still there, probably louder. Does thismean the pump is going bad?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Mine makes the clicking sound on when starved for fuel, it lets me know when i don't turn on the petcock :NO:Other than that, nothing. When mine went out it kept blowing the ign. fuse.

Jim

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I just disassembled a pump that was clicking and then quit.
The pump end cover can be removed by putting the pump in a vise(gently)and driving an ice pick or similar tool under each clip tab then using a screw driver to bend them out. The pump is pressed togather and staked. I saw no way to get the end off without damaging it. Anyway, there is not much in there but the diaphram which is made onto the shaft you see poking out of the electrical switch end. At the very end is the valves that work to prevent backflow. Not much to go wrong there. This pump was very clean inside. The only thing I could see that may have caused the failure was that the shaft was very tight and difficult to move. I think the shaft has to move in and out to move the diaphragm. This movement is by electromagnitism, I believe. If anyone has a pump that they want to experiment with they could remove the cap on the switch end and put a tiny drop of machine oil on the shaft end see if it will loosen up. These pumps are not made to be repaired, especially on the pump end, in my opinion. You could try dressing the switch points.

I got this pump from a very well known breaker in Ohio who sells on E-Bay. It clicked when I got it.
My original pump is working with no click after 80 K miles.
I am installing an Airtec pump this week and will post the results. I will carry the old pump for a spare if the new one works. Luck.
Bobby

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

BobbydSp wrote:
If anyone has a pump that they want to experiment with they could remove the cap on the switch end and put a tiny drop of machine oil on the shaft end see if it will loosen up.

Bobby, thanks for a very interesting and useful post. I did squirt some contact cleaner on everything that looked electrical, but it didn't seem to help. However, your suggestion to oil the diaphragm shaft is a great idea. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it helped.

Just before I read your post, I ordered the 85 Honda Prelude replacement pump for $55 (including shipping) from CarStuff.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

The pump I ordered is for an '84 Honda Accord. Cost new $80. Let us know how your pump works out.
Bobby

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

PAPete wrote:
your suggestion to oil the diaphragm shaft is a great idea. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it helped.
Bobby,

I didn't have any machine oil -- my "shop" out here in ID is very limited -- but I did have some antisieze that I used to lube the ends of the metal piece that the magnet attracts. It seemed to help a little; the frequency of the clicks is way down.

I should just go buy a little can of 3 in 1 oil and try to get a drop of it on the shaft. We only have a couple days left here, and there is lots going on. May have to wait. Won't be able to put the new pump on until December, probably. Thanks again for your help and to all the others who commented.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Okay, I got the Airtec fuel pump. It is a little too big to install neatly. I can install it if I need to but N.A.P.A. has one that has been recommended by members on this forum. I don't know how big it is though because no dimensions are given on the web site. That one is Part #610-1051. Neat looking unit and is solid state.
Bobby

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

We'll look forward to hearing how it works. The unit I ordered from CarStuff I had sent home (to PA). That bike is in ID, and we won't be back until December, so it'll have to wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.