Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Made it back home and started checking, plenty fuel, fuel flows through filter but fuel pump won't pump anything. Jumpered fuel pump and it pumps fine. Checked power to fuel pump and no power. Where does the power come from, is there a fuse? Is there a relay or something else that would fail to loose power? Where would the fuse or relay be located on the bike? Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Without the engine running or the engine being turned over by the starter, the pump won't run as it is powered by an ignition pulse I believe,,, You're gonna need to consult your shop manual for troubleshooting or wait for someone smarter than me!!:shock:

They should be along shortly.....:cool:

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Dennis, although I still haven't found it I'm looking, wouldn't think it would be that hard to locate and I think I know what I'm looking for.Also, if there is a fuse where is it. Didn't see it in the fuse box on top of the air cleaner? Is there some other fuses I've missed.Ironically the bike starts right up and runs fine if it sits a while and the tank is full of gas,I'm guessing the fuel gravety feeds the carbs????

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

As stated before,the engine must be running for the fuel pump relay to send pwer the the pump. You say it runs fine sitting,disconnect the fuel line after the pump and see whats it doing while running. As Dennis said , the relay is up by the coils.When my pump went it was blowing the ignition fuse. Pic of relay below.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
imported post

To check the fuel pump relay: (1) Turn the ingnition switch and engine stop switch ON

(2) Check for continuity between the white wire of the fuel pump relay and ground. There should be no continuity. (3)Since you can start the engine for a while, check for continuous batteryvoltage between the white wire of the fuel pump relay and ground with engine running. There should be battery voltage.

If either of these checks fails, the relay need replacing. This is the check provided in the Honda Goldwing 1984Service Manual.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

You should be able to follow the wire from the fuel pump to the fuel pump relay.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks, yep I found it, traced the wires and there it was all nesteled down in the rubber holder. Did the checks and showeda reading to ground so I guess it's bad. Fired up the engine and could feel the pump pulsating and then it quit so I guess the relay would heat up or something and quit. I had another relay from a Honda 750 I might try just to see what happens until the new one arrives. Thanks all for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.