Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wing shut off 4 times today found out there was no fuel flow at pump.

I checked the voltage and it looked like .20 just turning the key and . 50 while cranking.

anyone know the correct voltage.

i posted in a different topic but was hopng someone else would see this one and know the voltage.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

You only get voltage to the pump when the bike is cranking on the starter or the engine is running- very misleading. Try connecting a temporary live from the accesory terminal to the pump for a moment. The pump should run. Under the chrome cover of the pump there's a set of points. Give them a flick gently if the pump has a voltage but doesn't run- as they can get dirty. Mine kept failing every few hundred miles so I used a pump off an early VFR 750. Any similar pump will do. The pump is normally fed from a feed off one of the coils via another little box. This gives a varying voltage under normal running conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I conected the temporary live from the acc post and the starter burst into flames. After extinguishing the flames I could see where the extreme high voltage would have spark and burnt metal.

Last time I try that. Now even if teh pump wasnt the culprit i will need one due to the damge cause by jumping the pump.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I don't understand- How can the starter burst into flames? You shouldn't have been anywhere near the starter. If you connect 12 volts to the feed wire of the pump it should run. Where did the extreme high voltage come from? It's only a 12 volt bike and it's a 12 volt pump.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I meant the pump not the starter. I was still a bit shaken
the pump burst into flames.
I opened the pump a thin peice of metal that holds a magnet is burnt . Much like the wire inside the fuse.
Maybe i did something wrong

The pump sparked when I connected the power . the spark that burnt the inside must have been enough to igniite the fuel vapors
live and learn

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Im pretty sure it was the pump anyway. I got someone sending me anopther pump. WIll go from there.

I love my wing but she keeps giving me reasons to be upset with her.
i think after the pump I will rbe ready to rock and roll.

HAHHA

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

It sounds like your pump must have had fuel inside the mechanical compartment. There's no way it should have caught fire otherwise. The fuel vapours are kept away from the electrical components by the diaphragm. There must be something wrong with the pump to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Good thing I found out this way instead of a fire while riding.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

The reason I know a little bit about the pump is 'cause mine failed too, as well as 2 coils, the electronic ignition unit, the water pump, the clutch and the stator- all within 18 months. I sold it as I totally lost confidence in it. (it had only done 40K miles). Hope you have better luck than me.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.