Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there an aftermarket mechanical fuel pump that will retrofit, or work, with a 1984 Aspencade? I'd like to be able to bypass all the electrical nonsense with the pump relay, pump, etc.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Xtracho, Welcome to our great forum. When you say mechanical, I was just wondering where you are going to put it on the bike? To my knowledge, You would need to have a cam to push the pump lever. And I can't visualize how or where that could be on your 1200. Now I don't know you might be a mechanical Engineer and want this as a project, but I can't see anything else. Good luck and let us know how it went. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Hawk. Not a mechanical engineer, just frustrated at troubleshooting my fuel flow problems. I'm not an electrical genius either. I'm having trouble getting my fuel pump to run. I've got good flow from the petcock and the suction side of the pump is filling with fuel but the pump is not running when I try to start the bike. It sat up for quite a while before I bought it. Took it to a local mechanic and he went thru her, rebuilt carbs, compression test, flushed and filled with all new fluids. When he brought it over to the house, it was running fine with bottle hung on the handlebars and gravity feeding the fuel to the carbs. I'm going to connect the pump directly to the battery to see if it will run. If so, I would guess that I have a problem with the fuel relay. Just a guess. Not knowing the inner workings of the bike, the Clymer manual sometimes reads like Greek to me.

I suppose testing the voltage from the relay with a voltmeter would give me some sort of an answer.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Yes,well I had to replace my pump not last year but the yr before and I was supprised it lasted 21 yrs.Does it put out on the side to the carbs? It could be intermitent too.Mine was when it started to go. :)

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This is supposed to be a working pump off Ebay. That's why I'm going to connect it directly to the battery to see if it will run. As far as fuel output to the carb side of the pump, it's dry.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I put a pump of a vfr 750 pump on mine. The i/l and o/l pipes were slightly bigger but they went on with a bit of effort. Lots of bikes use a similar pump. Check under kawasaki, honda, yamaha pump on ebay. Steve

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Steve. What caused you to switch to a different pump? Do you have the part number? I'm to the point now of taking the bike to the shop to get the fuel delivery system fixed. If I could avoid that, get a delivery system that would be reliable, it would be fantastic.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark. I just looked at the pictures of the pumps people were advertising on ebay and picked one that looked similar to the Golwing version. The VFR750 one worked, so I also bought a Kawasaki one as a back up, (they were cheap-under £20 as I recall).
If you take the small earth strap screw off yours and remove the chrome cap, you'll see a small pair of points. Cleaning these with a bit of abrasive paper got mine going originally- but the process had to be repeated every 1000 miles or so. It's worth giving them a little flick with a permanent 12 volt feed to the pump, as this could prove the fault is in the pump. You are probably aware the pump is fed from an ignition coil and the supply is only live when cranking, or running, the engine. Good luck Steve

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I connected the fuel pump to the battery and it runs just fine. I'm getting no voltage from the connection for the fuel pump. Pump relay?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Mark,

You are trying to crank the engine on the starter at this point aren't you-? otherwise you'll get nothing. Steve

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

steve worth wrote:
Mark,

You are trying to crank the engine on the starter at this point aren't you-? otherwise you'll get nothing. Steve
Yes.... I pulled the relay and a big chunk of the housing was broken off the back side. Just to be safe I ordered another relay. Now, having insured that there is flow from the fuel tank, fuel pump is running, other than the relay is there anything else I should consider that might be causing the problem?

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I swear, once I get her running I WILL post a pic.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you did the test outlined above (testing the fuel pump) you dont need to run the bike, turn the ignition on.
If your sure there is no blockage (fuel filter) (the fuel cap vent is not plugged) and your getting fuel to the pump, then it has to be that the pump is not pumping even if it is running.
You should get almost 17 oz of fuel in one minute.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks Tricky. The fuel pump is working properly as per the test outlined above. Filter is OK, cap vent OK, fuel to the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Update: Received the relay and installed it. Bike fired right up. She is idling a little high @ 1480 RPM's... easy enough to adjust. The good part, I guess, is that @ 1600 RPM's I'm getting 15.5 volts on the battery.

Took her for her first, and my first, ride today since I bought her in November. Sweet!

Thanks to all of you for your sage advice and answers to my questions. As soon as my kid gets home from school I'll post a pic.... and I need an avatar also!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.