Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1200 aspencade that runs great with 106,000 miles on it. Lately when i am driving down the road I have been hearing a ticking noise in the fuel pump. Is it probly the fuel pump going bad or is there somthing else causing it to make this noise? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it isn't the one of the hydraulic lifters? They sometimes get noisy.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

not sure about anything but when I am riding down the road I can put my finger on it and feel a knocking on the fuel pump and it seems to knock when I hear it tick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

pregan59 wrote:
not sure about anything but when I am riding down the road I can put my finger on it and feel a knocking on the fuel pump and it seems to knock when I hear it tick
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet pregan59!:waving::waving:

Well, the fuel pump does tick when it works though usually not loud enough to hear when the engine is running. If it is the fuel pump you should be able to hear it with the bike idling on the stand too. Get a piece of tubing or a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope to probe around the engine to try to locate the source of the noise. As far asa fuel pump making noise, my experience with electric pumps is that they run okay until they don't. Usually no symptoms of failure until it happens.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

You can usually feel the pump pulsing when the engine is runing, so that isn't unusual. A slight ticking is indeed par for the course, but anything louder is unusual.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sometimes when i first start it up it ticks a lotand then it tends to slow down to about 1 every 4 to 5 seconds. The bike is running great but for a bit my speedometer sensor gear was bad. I wondered if that was causing more voltage or somthing which in turn caused the ticking. With it idling i can still feel it in the fuel filter.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not to sound flip or insulting, but if the bike's running fine otherwise ignore it and ride! It's normal for an electric fuel pump to run fast for a few seconds when the power is applied to it, that's just the pump building operating pressure, once it develops sufficient pressure it will tick slowly as the engine uses fuel. If it keeps running fast there's as leak somewhere letting the pressure off. Remember the old Rolls Royce advertisement that said "at 100 mph all you can hear is the clock ticking"? Probably just meant they had a very loud clock. Your pump may be just a bit more noisy than most. I don't think you have a problem.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ok thanks I think your right cause it is running great!!! Just was wondering if I was going to get stranded sometime but it doesn't sound like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.