Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know what voltage should be coming from the fuel pump relay to the electric fuel pump on a 85 gl1200? I am showing a little over 9 volts and am hoping that is why I keep dropping power after I twist the throttle past a half turn. It seems like I'm starving for gas.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I have a 1983 1200 interstate. It has been sitting for about three weeks. I went to ride her the other day. I drove about 1/4 of a mile and she died on me. I had to sit for about 5 min. and started her and did the same again. I changed the fuel filter had that same problem. I am not sure what to check next. Maybe the fuel relay. How do I check it. Where is it located. I do not hear the fuel pump comming on but the pump does get warm.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The relay is located to the right of the ECM. The plug for the fuel pump and relay is located just in front of the catch pan on the gas tank. follow the two wires from the fuel pump up to the plug. The fuel pump only runs when you are starting or running. You will feel "bumping" in the fuel pump when it is running, it won't run fast. You won't hear it, as the starter is either turning or the engine is running, you have to feel it.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The engine will idle forever without the fuel pump running, the bike does not need it, I have even uplugged the fuel pump electrically and it will run as long as you have gas in the tank, the fuel pump only supplies more gas and pressure to gain higher rpms.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I guess to check the relay I unplug the wires and put a meter on at the relay side with the key in the on position? If that reads good then I suppose the fuel pump is bad.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

BASSER wrote:
The engine will idle forever without the fuel pump running, the bike does not need it, I have even uplugged the fuel pump electrically and it will run as long as you have gas in the tank, the fuel pump only supplies more gas and pressure to gain higher rpms.
sort of... this works when the tank is full, but eventually the fuel level in the tank is below the carbs...

but back to the first question it ought to be 12 volts, I would check the connections as you may just have some making poor contact... the relay, will either work or not work, but even the relay can have mariginal contacts inside.... when I rebuilt mine a couple of years aho, I had no power to the fuel pump, rather than chase down zebras I ran a connection off the accesory plug to the fuel pump, the accesory plug is only powered on either the "on" or "accesory" position on the ignition switch, and is "off" when the bike is off.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

The electrical connectors in these bikes can cause horrendous voltage drops. Sometimes it is the actual connection, and sometimes it is the crimp where the wire is joined to the terminal. Occasionally it is the contacts in a relay, but most often it is a combination of all three. It would be a good winter project to disconnect, clean and packevery connector with dielectric grease.

If the brass in a connector is not bright and new there will be considerable resistance to the flow of electricity. While copper and brass are excellent conductors, unfortunately the oxides that form on them over time are very poor conductors. Actually very few metallic oxides conduct electricity worth a hoot. Most are excellent resistors. Clean them as you are able with the tools you have, and use dielectric grease to prevent further oxidation. This is the reason the plug for the stator wires fails so often. It works when new and bright but itoxidizes soon which creates a resistance which causes heat, which causes more oxidation etc. The other connectors don't have the 50 odd volts running through them so they justexchange voltage for heat you most likely can't detect, and in the end you have10 volts or less to do the work of 12.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I assumed it should be 12 volts as well. I put a meter on the battery while the bike is running and I get 14.6 volt. I looked a little more and found that the top of the starter solenoid, located to the right side of the battery has been "serviced" by someone prior to me. The plug on top of the solenoid is destroyed and black electrical tape was wrapped around it. I took the tape off and the corrosion inside of there is herendous. I believe I will take the blades off and replace some wires and try to order a new plug. I would imagine I am losing some voltage/amps right off the get go. Doesn't everything feed off of the top of the solenoid?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Tricky. That will for sure take care of my problem at the solednoid, hopefully I can get that done tomorrow evening. Now if I could just figure out why the critter won't go down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.