Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1984 Aspencade 1200. It is hard to start when it is cold. It usually takes 5-10 minutes to start. I was going to raplace the fuel pump with an electric fuel pump I had laying around. I took the ground wire off the outside and the black wire went under the cover. Inside I found a set of contacts theblack wire with a diode(I think) and a bare solid silver wire. It looked like the bare wire could have been attached to the black wire since there was a plastic cover over the wire with nothing coming out of one side. I solder the bare wire their and hooked it up. Electrical Question: Is the smoke supposed to stay inside the wire or should you let it out from time to time?:D I took off the fake tank and did it again to see were it was coming from it looks like the fuel pump relay is smoking. Any help would be appreciated.:baffled:

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you soldered a hot and a ground together.
The smoke theory proven again.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Perhaps I'm a little bit "out" of the question but....why don't you replace it with another mechanic pump? No short circuits, blown fuses, burnt wires,....

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

How did this end up? Curious. Not sure that the fuel pump would be the problem since it's gravity fed and pumps only when called for I thought. Dirty fuel filter? Other restriction? Spark plugs? Insufficient voltage at the spark? Bad gas? (the bike!)

Duban

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.