Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a gas station down the road from me that took out their mid grade gas, and put in "marine grade non-ethanol" gas. When regular was 3.27 per, the "marine grade" was 4.79 a gallon. My question is what the heck is marine grade gas. Most stations are 40 or 50 cents higher for pure gas, why would the marine be 1.50 higher. M
Not that I would spend the difference, cause I've never had a problem with the 10%, ever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not claiming to be smarter... quite the contrary... My take would be the ethanol content. I don't even burn ethanol gas in my smaller engines (lawn mowers, weed eaters, etc.)

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Back in the days of my youth ('50s - '60s), there was a fuel available at many gas stations called "Marine White Gas". Back then, we used it in our 2-stroke outboard motors, along with a 50:1 oil mix, and the white gas was quite commonly used in those old Coleman camping lanterns. It was lead-free, but I don't know if it was refined any differently than the leaded gas of the day...

What it did for the outboards was to eliminate those hard lead deposits from the piston domes and the exhaust ports.

Then, we (all internal combustion engines owners) were told NOT to use it, as the lack of lead additives would harm the valves/seats, and piston skirts. (I & my friends never experienced any engine problems attributable to no-lead fuel use).

I really can't remember if it cost more or less /gallon back then, but I would vote more, since it wasn't "main-stream" fuel, and was used mostly for recreational endeavors. :waving:

·
Large Member
787 Posts
It's called 'marketing'. There's nothing in it that would validate the cost, just plain simple marketing. They're banking on the ethanol scare for older vehicles. Around here, e-free gas is mid grade and 7¢ higher than E10 same grade. That's a lot more reasonable than $1.50.

·
Old School Guru
7,885 Posts
Marketing. They are trying to sell to the boat crowd, who are told that their "Marine Grade Fuel" is special. All it is, is non-ethanol 90 octane gas. Marketing it as "Marine Grade" is to make it sound special and also, as that gas around marinas is normally a lot more expensive than anywhere else, and people with boats are willing to pay more than other folks. Just a rip off.:lash:
Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
56,833 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head..............

·
Registered
94 Posts
In the mid 60s I worked at a gas station And pumped regular, Ethel and white gas. Regular was 32.9, Ethel was 35.9 and white gas was 25.9 per gallon white gas was unleaded gas. Anything marine means more money the same with recreational vehicle bot line marketing

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
I agree you pay more for Marine gas when you have to fill a boat out on the lake. But it is just a rip off as I always would fill up before going out on the lake with mid grade unleaded and it worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
More proof how our gov. is becoming a SCAM ARTIST to take
more &
more &
more &
more &
of our money away.
:lash:
Voting them out's not good nuff. . .

TAR & FEATHER THEM SCOUNDRELS

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Normally marine fuel costs a bit less because there's less tax on the stuff. I can't imagine what they mean by 'marine grade', all the gas docks I've pulled up to just sold regular gasoline with ethanol. Ethanol in marine fuel is really a rotten thing since it's got more water in it than regular gas to start off with.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
We call it "clear" gas around here in the aviation community. It's premium unleaded non-ethanol gasoline. The reason given that it costs so much is that it is made and transported in such small quantities, i.e. economy of scale.

Fact is they know the folks who can't do without it will pay through the nose to get it...and that's supply and demand / free market at work.

If economy of scale were the only factor...diesel would still be about the price of regular gasoline (or less)...but they figure anyone who can afford a $50k diesel pickup truck won't balk at fuel prices nor will they have an alternative. The laws of economics from back in the 60's no longer apply and they never will again.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
93 octane Ethanol free gasoline was exempted from the Oregon state ethanol mandate on January two years ago. Prior to that it was illegal to sell ethanol free gasoline in this state due to the do gooders in the North corner of this state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.