Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi i think my fuel relay has tripped wen i accidently touched the bike frame wen undoing the batterie is there a way to untrip relay or bypass it please ;)so i can get my bike running

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

fuses are all good im trying to find the fuel relay which i think is under the trunk someware lol

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Your interstate will be newer than 1989 which is the last year that the GL1500 had a fuel pump relay, so that could be a bit difficult to find.

You mention that "Fuses are all good" ... does this include the 50A dogbone fuse and the 30A main fuse as well? (both on the battery side of the bike just formward of the battery) - Both of these are directly connected to the battery's positive terminal.

What all has failed? Perhaps someone here can help to narrow your search?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i have a large fuse under the seat bit and one down were the batterie is i couldnt see another main fuse in front of that one m8 i found the fuel relay under the back top box but i dont know how to fix it i have a mobile bike electrician comeing sat to give it a go as im loosing patience with it lol oh i found the starter selonoid fuse infront of the other one

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The dogbone fuse under the seat will eb for the reverse... the similar fuse located forward of the battery (50A) runs a few things --- the "other" main fuse is ATC type and is located under teh rubber cover for Solenoid A (follow the "other" lead from the positive side of the battery -- one lead will run to the 50A dogbone, and the other lead will run direct to solenoid A and the 30A main fuse).

What year 1500 are you working with there viking2476? Seeing the "Interstate" designation, I'd assumed that you hd something more current than those that had Fuel-pump relays...

Also, what items are not working on your bike? Just the Start switch? or a fuel pump ? ?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

mines american import and the english plates is the old F reg 88 it says on the docs all i get wen i press start button is a click on the relays and the fuel pump doesnt fire up unless i hot wire it lol

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Ah... 1988 (there's teh bit -- sorry for the confusion, the "interstate" wasn't available in '88 or '89 so I'd assumed that you had the newer fuel controls).

in '88, you definitely get the relay -- it should "pulse" on for just a second immediately after the key is put to ON and the kill switch is also put to ON...

You can look for a short 12V burst (output to pump) at the pump's Black (with blue stripe) wire under the seat (FWIW, this wire is Black w/red stripe at the relay end).

The Relay's ground (earth) is a green wire

The relay should have 12V with the key and kill switches ON coming into the relay on a Black (with white stripe) wire.

The ICU controls a ground to the Fuel pump relay (the Yellow with Blue stripe) ... this is earthed by the ICU to turn on the pump ...

Does your "Cruise On" lamp light when you press the "Cruise ON/Off" button there on the right grip control (with the key on and the kill switch on, of course) ?

If the "Cruise On" lamp will not light, look to the 30A main fuse, the bottom-most fuse in the fuse panel (15A) and possibly realy #8 or, possibly, the Bank Angle Sensor ...

Jumpering the Black w/White to the Black w/Red wire at the base of the relay effectively removes the ICU control and relay from the circuit. (to test the harness and power supply)

I don't recommend checking the realy in the harness (by jumping the Yellow w/Blue wire to ground) as this grounds the outupt from the ICU, and these older ignition control units are becoming hard to find.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

wow thanks for the info bud , wen i turn key on the cruise control light comes on for a few secs then off,wen i press cruise button light comes on but doesnt do anything it never did m8, in my relay box were the fuses are i have a blue relay 10 amp wen i put it in the relay 8 slot the pump works but i can start bike without the key in the ignition lol so it wont turn off till i take the blue relay out ,i did swap relays about and it all worked fine for a bit but i pressed the start button while engine was running and it caused the bike to stop,like it tripped something , i also had a wire connected to the pos screw on the fuse board and while ignition was on i accidently touched frame and it seemed to trip something again and the bike started as it used to do factory mode its all very strange i cant see any burnt wires etc and the reverse fuse seems to have no current running through it the main metal fuse next to batterie seems to be perminantly live even without key in . its a mystery at the mo i miss riding her as im member of the royal british legion riders club

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

wow thanks for the info bud , wen i turn key on the cruise control light comes on for a few secs then off,wen i press cruise button light comes on but doesnt do anything it never did m8, in my relay box were the fuses are i have a blue relay 10 amp wen i put it in the relay 8 slot the pump works but i can start bike without the key in the ignition lol so it wont turn off till i take the blue relay out ,i did swap relays about and it all worked fine for a bit but i pressed the start button while engine was running and it caused the bike to stop,like it tripped something , i also had a wire connected to the pos screw on the fuse board and while ignition was on i accidently touched frame and it seemed to trip something again and the bike started as it used to do factory mode its all very strange i cant see any burnt wires etc and the reverse fuse seems to have no current running through it the main metal fuse next to batterie seems to be perminantly live even without key in . its a mystery at the mo i miss riding her as im member of the royal british legion riders club

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

viking2476 wrote:
.... all i get wen i press start button is a click on the relays and the fuel pump doesnt fire up unless i hot wire it lol

The starter and the 2 solenoids (starter relays) are not related to the fuel pump run cycle ... so this would indicate something a bit deeper to me

I'm assuming that your "N" lamp is burning brightly as you try to start , correct ? Does your Side Stand lamp also light correctly ?

Here's a bit of a look into the 2-lug starter system for your 1988:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

That 65A reverse fuse (inder the seat) thre is only "live" when you're in reverse, so that's to be expected.

That "positive screw on the fuse box" is portected by the top-most fuse in the box there (the factory size is 5A) so chances are that top fuse has gone away... ;)

The "Blue" relay from the box is the odd-duck -- you can pretty much swap the others about all you wish, but the Blue one will connect some circuits without the coil being driven (as you mention).

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

awesome bud wen i did a electric test on starter selenoid 2 there was no power and the side stand switch never did anything as i had a side car attached so the side stand was missing but it has one now and bike worked with the side stand button in the out position as there isnt anything to push the button in, the neutral light is bright wen key is on but i do notice that the neutral light stays on wen changing gear it goes off wen i let the clutch out a little bit so there is loose contact there somewere

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

viking2476 wrote:
i did a electric test on starter selenoid 2 there was no power ...

The Solenoid B should see power only as Solenoid A is "clicked-in" as you press the starter button ...

... if this is the condition that you checked, then the 5A fuse () could be blown (if this fuse has failed, Solenoid B will NOT CLICK when you press the start button and Solenoid A clicks)

Solenoid B is there aft of the battery, and the 5A fuse should be nearby (above, kinda forward) in a rubber cover.

If you checked in any other condition, solenoid B doesn't have any power (normal) Solenoid b switches ground for the starter motor ('88 and '89 only) ...

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

When you have teh key in "on" will the "Cruise ON" lamp on the dash light when you push on the main cruise on/off button ?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

OK. with the Radio on so that you can hear something, does that "mute" when you press the start button ?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

If the radio MUTEs as you press start, that'll confirm that the start button is passin 12V to the same line that is the +ve side of the Solenoid A coil.

The ground passes through a reverse switch relay and a diode block.

If youre Neutral lamp is on (Green "N" lamp on the dash), the Reverse Switch Relay should be pulled-in (connecting Solenoid A's coil to the diode block)...

The Reverse Switch Relay is under the seat... to the right from that big reverse fuse that you've measured... Just a relay hanging in a little rubber boot. You should be able to feel this "click" as you turn the key ON-and-OFF with the bike in neutral (so that the relay clicks when the green "N" lamp comes on, and clicks again as the "N" light goes off.

Does this reverse switch relay seem to "click" as expected?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.