Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK, Here's my all time stupid question, almost embarrassed to ask......Is there a reserve on a 1992 GL1500I? I've read through the manual, and it appears it goes on reserve automatically with an indicator light on the Aspencades and SEs, but since my Interstate does not have the digital dash, I'm not sure........It appears the fuel petcock within the fuel filler door does not have any kind of manual access......I've owned smaller bikes for years, and have always had a manual reserve on the petcock.......This is obviously my first Wing......

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I have a 94 Interstate. You have a fuel gauge. When the needle enters the red zone at the empty mark you are on reserve, about .9 gal. I don't really trust the gauge so I stop for gas any time the needle gets to 1/4 tank. This gives me about 200 miles so it's time to stretch my legs anyway.:)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks.......I understand your uneasiness trusting the gauge......I've ridden for 30+ years and have gotten used to having that "guaranteed" reserve on all my other bikes......Wonder why Honda decided not to have one on such an otherwise great bike?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

My guess would be that we have a fuel pump in the tank. If the fuel was gravity fed it would be east to have a reserve switch. That and everything is covered by the plastic. I have had other Hondas and Kawasakis that did not have switches for reserve, only idiot lights. I didn't trust those either. Fill it up and ride until you are down to 1/4 tank and stop for gas. Check you milage from last fill up and you will know approximatly how far you can go before you run out. I've been riding for 43 years and this is the best bike for me at this point in my life. Ride often and enjoy yourself. Dave:action:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

You also have a fuel warning light. It comes on when you have 1 gallon left.

So between the fuel guage and the warning light, no need for a second pick up in the tank.

You have a 6.1 gallon tank, so take notice where the fuel guage is each time you fill up and how much fuel the bike takes. You'll get comfortable real fast with your fuel guage. Yours might not be the same as mine, but it will be pretty consistant with itself. You'll always have plenty of warning. When you start to get comfortable with it, run it down further each time until you get to where the fuel light comes on, so that you can see how much fuel that takes.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

There is no fuel warning light on the Interstate, SE and Asp. only. Guess we have the lower end of the Goldwing model but it's still a great bike.Dave

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Walla Walla Dave wrote:
There is no fuel warning light on the Interstate, SE and Asp. only. Guess we have the lower end of the Goldwing model but it's still a great bike.Dave

No kidding? Honda really got cheap on that one. I had a fuel warning light on my 1200 interstate, so I am really surprised that they didn't continue it on the 1500 interstate. What a shame.

That being the case then, I am really comfortable with my guage. It takes a few tank fill ups, but once you get to know your guage, you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.