Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a problem this morning with my 96 GL1500 se.

Started it this morning, and it was running really rough. It's done this before occasionally, especially after it has sat for 3 or 4 days without being run. This isn't so common because I usually ride everyday.

Anyway as of this morning (monday) the bike hasn't run since last thursday.

I started it and it was running rough, and and after about 20 or 30 seconds I noticed fuel running down fromthe inside of the covering just in front of the kickstand. It was a trickle. So I stopped the bike. Small puddle on the ground about 6 inches across.

I looked on the other side of the bike and there was a puddle on that side also. Since the bike was on the side stand, it looked like fuel must have come from one of the drain tubes on that side, but I can't say for sure.

Since the bike was running so badly, I believe that there mayhave been standing fuel inside the cylinders, but I don't know that for sure.

My first guess is that one of the floats in the carbs is sticking. But, I am not sure what else could cause this, so before I start tearing into things and taking things apart, I would like to try to confirm or eliminate potential problems.

As many of you know, I overhauled my carbs about a year ago, so I know how to take them apart, but that's a big job and I don't want to just waste my time if it's likely something else.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

If it is running badly, I would say you first guess is good.

Based on that, I would not have a second guess. Check for gas in the oil and overly rich exhaust. May also want tocheck your plugs.

Big job is sort of an understatement. It's more of a pain.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

It might be the auto fuel valve leaking badly. That would run fuel down a drain hose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.