Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody know where I can find one? Nothing on eBay or bikbandit. Googled it and came up empty too...:stumped:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

If your sending unit is not working, try this. Go to Radio Shack or an electronic parts store and ask for TV tuner cleaner. I just recently used this spray on my dead unit and it got it working again! The spray can comes with a straw. Stick that straw into every hole on that sending unit that you can find and spray the bajebeez out of it. You'll probably get alot of rust out of it. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, I am talking about the one inside the tank.

GLester, thanks for the eBay links, but I'm just looking for the sensor only...and the one I found is the one you found, but it said it may or may not work so I'm holding off on that one.

Wendell, thanks for the tip...I'll give it a "shot". ;)

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
imported post

This is a coincidence.......
Tonight I serviced my sending unit on my 77.

It was TOTALLY CAKED with rust scale.

You can remove the small metal shroud that's attached to the sensor unit and be ready because it'll probably be loaded with crap.

I soaked it with Sea Foam spray and used a Dremel with a small wire brush. I also used a small screwdriver to scrape and clean the heavy stuff.

Be careful not to disturb the tiny sensor wire!

After that I blew it dry with compressed air.
I did the best I could and got about 90% of the crud off.

That should get me by till this winter as I purchased a fresh gas tank and will re-do it again with the new tank to replace mine with.

Doug77

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Does your temperature gauge work? If it doesn't it might be the 7-volt regulator that powers both the temperature gauge and fuel gauge.

Sometimes you can clean the sending unit by spraying some CLR or other rust remover into the unit and working it up and down. Check it with an ohm meter - with the float all the way down you should have 65-75 ohms, all the way up you should have 10-15 ohms.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

axelwik wrote:
Does your temperature gauge work?  If it doesn't it might be the 7-volt regulator that powers both the temperature gauge and fuel gauge.

Sometimes you can clean the sending unit by spraying some CLR or other rust remover into the unit and working it up and down.  Check it with an ohm meter - with the float all the way down you should have 65-75 ohms, all the way up you should have 10-15 ohms.

I cleaned up the unit and checked it with an ohmeter and got the ranges that you posted. So it seems that it is in good working order. AS the bike isn't running, I don't know if the temp guage works, but it would seem that it doesn't since everything seems to be pointing to the volt regulator. Now the 25, 000 dollar question is "Where is this volt regulator of which you speak?"

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The 7-volt regulator is under the left shelter cover. It's aft of the fuse box and below the turn signal flasher. It has a 3-wire plug. There should be 12 volts to the white/red terminal and 7 volts at the green/black terminal. The third terminal is ground.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Be sure to check the ground terminal at the regulator for an open condition. There should be continuity between the ground terminal and the engine or frame. The regulator won't work without a good ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.