Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about fuel leakage and petcock rebuilds, I went out and checked mine again,just looking at it , seems brand new..short of installing the electric shut off mentioned in previous threads, would it make any sense to install a manual shutoff like on my vtx in line with the stocker....many thanks and Happy Holidays....

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
You could but why, two manual shuts offs..??

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could but why, two manual shuts offs..??
I know it might not make sense, but and Ive only seen couple of threads on hydrolock...its one of my worst fears...

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I agree with RB. There's not much point in it. The VTX1300 is a different application. The petcock is on the bottem and the tank is frequently removed for service. The 1500 the 'output' is on top of the tank and it's rarely removed for any reason. On the 1500 a properly working auto fuel valve nearly eliminates the possibility of hydro locking...don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with RB. There's not much point in it. The VTX1300 is a different application. The petcock is on the bottem and the tank is frequently removed for service. The 1500 the 'output' is on top of the tank and it's rarely removed for any reason. On the 1500 a properly working auto fuel valve nearly eliminates the possibility of hydro locking...don't worry about it.
Well alrighty then...many thanks

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If you installed a manual shutoff, will you turn it on and off faithfully each ride?
That is the question to be answered.
Honda went to the vacuum valve because most never turn the petcock on or off each ride as it was intended, read the owners manual on those bikes, not doing so you leave the gas open if a float valve sticks open causing the hydrolock.
The vacuum(rebuild if needed) or an electric valve with an oil pressure safety switch are the best options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.