Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been riding the wing for several weeks now and since day one have noticed a slight odor of fuel smell around the fuel cap. I'm now noticing some dampness at the bottom of the pan. I checked the screws at the diaphragm and they were tight.

The bike starts right up in the morning with out using the choke and getting 35 MPG with the off idle hesitation typical with the 88's.

What is the diaphragm for? and I don't think it's the fuel cap that's leaking. I also get some pressure build up in the tank when I remove the fuel cap...is that normal?

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
imported post

You have pressure in your tank which is good. Tank and cap are doing their job. The part you refer to is the auto fuel valve. It has a vacuum hose attachment which opens the valve for fuel flow when engine is running, an auto petcock.

The valve rubber can deteriorate and give a fuel smell. Remove the top shelter and seat to check your fuel lines and connections. Now would be a good time to replace your filter if of unknown vintage. There is a rebuild kit available for valve.

JD

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

If you are noticing a dampness in the bottom of the pan it is the fuel petcock valve leaking. They do make a rebuild kit....if you can find it. If not you will have to get a new petcock valve (not cheep). www.cyclemaxohio has them in the maintance section I think.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Ah yes... the petcock. I just replaced that myself yesterday. Mine was leaking from the back of it. Filled the garage up with the smell of gas that still lingers. Waiting to get the bike out for a drive and the stink blown off of it.

I could not find a rebuild kit anywhere. I thought about replacing it with an electric version but no one had that around here either. It would have been a regular 12v electrical shutoff.

Although my local Honda shop did not have one in stock, the got one in 3 days. They told me that they were a discontinued item. I jumped at the chance at it at $115.00cnd.

You can see where it was leaking from the weep hole. For something that just weeps a little, does it ever smell things up.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

It is the petcock leaking....Buy the new on from CycleMax and it is an easy swap out...

To get it off you will need to undo a screw in the bottom that holds it to the tray.

You can access the screw by disconnecting the tray drainage hose in the lower left corner and taking off the gas cap. The the tray can "tip up" for access to the screw...(just a hint).

There are other places to un-do on top but I can't remember them right now...but the tray tip up trick stayed with me....?

Just do it....and the fuel filter... consider ordering the gas cap gasket from Cycle Max at the same time..just a few extra dollars and it slips onto the cap easily and really seals the tank just like new...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'll try the rebuild kit first....I'm a cheap *******. Some site are out of stock. However, I may just throw the new one on. Best price so far $130.

Best Regards to all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.