Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so you know when you install your petcock there are Three holes , two for the screws and one for the petcock to get fuel from right?

Ok my question is what would happen if i drilled a hole all the way through the fuel hole , it seems like there is two layers to the tank if im not mistaken?

The reason im asking is because there seems to be some sort of blockage which is stopping any fuel from coming out of that hole. I cleaned it and still nothing, so was thinking what would happen if i drilled a hole all the way through the tank itself, small hole or same size as it is now?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I think that would be bypassing the petcock. Taking it out and connecting the two main hoses would do the same thing.
There was a recent thread on bypassing the petcock and I think the general consensus was that it won't do any harm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure i need to bypass the petcock as i cant even get fuel to come out to the petcock, I need to find out what will happen if i drill a little bittie whole through the hole in the tank that is supposed to let the fuel into the petcock?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your statement is very confusing. The three holes for the fuel petcock are gas-in, gas-out, and the vacuum line. Are you saying you want to drill a hole in your gas tank or are you referring to your gas filter not letting gas to your fuel petcock?

·
Registered
211 Posts
have you tried this: remove fuel line from outside the petcock, attach compressor to nipple and try blowing air backwards into tank to remove blockage. if one or both of the lines inside the tank are blocked i would try clearing them befoer i started drilling anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I believe the key needs to be on to get a vacuum to the petcock assembly to let fuel get thru. Make sure you are getting fuel out of the fuel-filter. If fuel is getting thru filter you may not have vacuum to petcock or it could need rebuilding or replacing.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Disregard my previous reply. I thought you were referring to a gl1500 petcock, now I don't know. You should edit the title of the thread to clarify the model Goldwing, or update us in your next post .

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
There's a tube running from the petcock to the bottom of the tank.
Is you drill through that only the fuel in the top half of the tank will be available for use.

If you pull the fuel gauge sender you can clean or remove the filter screen on the end of the fuel tube.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a tube running from the petcock to the bottom of the tank.
Is you drill through that only the fuel in the top half of the tank will be available for use.

If you pull the fuel gauge sender you can clean or remove the filter screen on the end of the fuel tube.

Thank I will try that, already tried everything else everyone said, Something has to be clogged as all i did was change out gastanks and my pump was working fine and the bike ran great til the change out ok now going to figure out how to clean this filter screen.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I thought he was referring to the '83 gl1100 in his other posts. Where did you see '84?
The 84 is the only bike listed in his profile but yes if he doesn't tell us what he's working on we're all guessing.:?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.