Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Everytime I take off the fuel cap off my 98 1500SE to refuel, it releases pressure from the tank. It is to my understanding that the red vent hose that is attached to the cap itselfshould be venting the tank as it empties right!! So that is my question. Why is there pressure in the tank upon releasing the cap if the vent hose is doing it's job? I have blown air through the hose and it isnt plugged at all. Is it normal to have pressure in the tank or is the cap messed up? Just wondering if that might be a problem. Thanks..... Ride on

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I have a '95 1500SE and it does the same. Not much, but some. Always has done it and I just assumed that was normal.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

The Cap is basically a check valve to allow air in and not out.

Under extreme pressure build up it will vent to the atmosphere.

If the cap didnt allow air in then the pump would not be able to move the fuel to the carbs and the tank would actually want to crush inward because of the vacuum created, and the bike would starve.

thru heat buildup andthe gas sloshing around , pressure is built up in the tank.

If the cap always vented to atmosphere to relieve this pressure you would always smell gas.Thus it acts as a one way valve but will vent under extreme pressure situations only thru the hose.

My 88 does not have the hose, canister setup as USA bikes did,but it still works on the same principles.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys for the answer to my ?. Yes it must be working ok then. I love this GW forum, lots of great guys and really great bikes huh?? Ride On

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

Lotsa folks with lotsa knowledge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.