Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1983 GL 1100 INTERSTATE , THE PROBLEM IS THE FUEL TANK IS SO FULL OF RUST ,WILL A 80-82 TANK FIT THE SAME OR DOES ANYONE MAKE A PLASIC AFTERMARKET TANK???? ANY IDEA ON $PRICE$ THANKS....

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

There are gas tanks available on Ebay quite often and at decent prices-- I once took a gas tank and washed out with soap several times and dried out in the sun. I then put in a pack of BB's and wrapped in a blanket and put in the clothes dryer for an hour or so. This cleaned out the rust very well. I sealed the inside with aircraft gas tank sealer and never had another problem. These sealers are available at NAPA and some motorcycle suppliers. You should have seen my wife when she came home and heard the noises coming from the dryer!!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I'd try ebay, I got my gas tank for my 77 gl1000for 99 cents plus shipping, but I've seen some go as high as $100, You don't want to know the dealers price,

It's really hard to clean out the fuel pick up lines going into the tank, and I tried the bb's trick all that did was knock off the screens on the bottom,

Just ask the people who are selling the tank how the inside looks, If their to lazy to do it, I'ld wait for the next tank, I've bought quite a few parts from ebay and have never had a problem, But just watch your self YOU NEVER know

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

Whats btt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.