Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I switch to reserve it runs very rough and have to open throttle full in order to get any power at all. Question, is it possible to clean the tank, reserve tank, other than removing it? Is it possible to remove the fuel level float and remove the dirt from there? Pulling the tank doesn.t sound like much fun to me.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yes and no. The best way is to remove the tank then clean and seal it to prevent rust. And while you are it clean and regrease your splines..a good thing to do...

But you can drain the tank, fill it with water and then use a shop vac to suck all the water and floating rust out. You do this several times or just once and then fill with gas immediately to prevent more rust.

You can also drain it and then try to shoot some carb cleaner and then compress air up through the petcock tubes..to blow out the screens on the tube ends. You can also run a wire up the tubes to ream them out a bit..some use a speedo cable on a drill to snake it up in there..if you do that be careful and go slowly.

Electrolysis is another way but the tank had to be isolated from the frame it's possible to do it on the bike but you have to slip rubber between the tank and any place it touches the frame and remove all the mounting screws. This can take 24 hours or more but does a very nice job in removing rust. here's a link to that process..

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/49040-help-rusted-gas-tank.html

But don't drain the gas and then just try to vacuum..the gas vapors will ignite in your vacuum..sparks from the electric motor...go BOOM!!!

PS it's jsut one tank with two pick-ups one lower than the other.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Good info. Isn't there a drain plug on this tank? Also, can the tank be accessed well enough through the level sender to try some of these things?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Nope no drain on the 1100's I THINK!! only on the 1000's

Here's a "complete" description..

I did my tank with por15, (http://www.por15.com) seems to be working great. I cleaned the tank out with muriatic acid 80/20 solution strong. It cleaned out the tank within a few minutes. You have to plug the lines at the fuel **** port. Then release the plugs and let some acid run out to get the inside of the lines. Then put in some baking soda mixed with water and rise it out to stop the acid. Then IMMEDIATELY put in POR's prep solution. It will prepare the metal for the sealer and allow you to take your time in getting in. It has phosphoric acid in it which stabilizes the metal for a day or two..no rust. Then you pour in their sealer, slowly and careful into a part of the tank where it won't hit the screen intakes. If you do it slowly and careful you won't get any on them. Then SLOWLY rotate the tank until you've got it all covered. Again if you do carefully you can avoid any/most contact with the screens. I got the smallest can of both products the stabilizer is reusable. The sealer is not but I only put about half of the can in and it was still too much. I had to pour out about 2 oz. The less you can use the better as a deep coat or pooling is not good. I did seal up the fuel sensor hole using the locking ring and 4 layers of rubber. I painted some sealer on the sensor box later.

I would do this first! run your bike off a gas can for tuning etc. while you prepare the tank. You have to let this stuff dry for several days. Again be careful with how much you use less is more. The less you have to dump out the better as it's hard to get out because of the lip on the inside of the gas tank. Keep turning the tank until there is none of the sealer running around. If you put the tank down and let it sit for 30 seconds and look in with a flashlight you'll see the pooling if there is any..if there is start turn again or try to dump out the extra.

If you do get some on a screen you can try some compressed air through the fuel lines it may blow off the sealer.

Getting the tank out of your bike is a bit of a pain, the whole back end everything except the swing arm has to come off..and since you are that far you might as well take that off too and grease/clean the swing arm bearing etc. also change out the rear drive oil and re grease the

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.