Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is going to start a hornets nest...
Like I have said in several post. I do not believe in a miracle in a bottle. I work on bikes for a living. I have repaired more carbs and fuel related components because people let their stuff set. We have people bringing in all types of stuff saying "I put in(leave this blank on purpose)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ but now it won't run. We ask did you drain the bowl(s) AND treat fuel or did you just treat the fuel? I don't think but a couple admitted to draining the bowl(s) because we treated the fuel. The fuel now has created a lot of problems for everyone. Not only carbs but fuel pumps too.
Have taken fuel pumps apart and found brown slime inside.
If you going to treat fuel drain your bowls also. Recommend draining tanks if going to sit for more than 4 weeks.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,880 Posts
Yup,

either keep that tank full to the brim, or drain it to the bottom if you let it set for months on end.

Otherwise start it up and run it for a while.

Over treating can cause about as much trouble as not doing it at all.

But, I do like Sea Foam.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Not all problems are the same...Seafoam cleared up my erratic idle, but doesn't mean it'll work for the next guy. Good stuff though IMHO.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I am a big believer in Seafoam, because it has worked for me many times. It will NOT fix filthy completely plugged up carbs. But we have ethanol gas here, and it evaporates so fast, and caused corrosion, which can partially plug up the jets in as little as 2 weeks, causing the engine to misfire. Run some Seafoam through it, and it starts running fine again very quickly. I DID NOT have this problem before ethanol gas. It took months to plug up the jets, not weeks.

I have also has a lot of luck with draining the float bowls, and filling them with Seafoam through the vent hoses, then letting it sit for 24 hours. If you try to start it with float bowls full of Seafoam, it will fire, but not run. Seafoam contains naptha, which is why it will fire on it. That sucks some of it up inside the jets and passages, and makes it work even better. There is no magic involved, Seafoam is a solvent which dissolves the gum and varnish left behind by evaporated gas.

That being said, I doubt there are very few carbs out there that could not use a good cleaning. I have yet to take a carb apart that was not dirty inside.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I know this is going to start a hornets nest...
Like I have said in several post. I do not believe in a miracle in a bottle. I work on bikes for a living. I have repaired more carbs and fuel related components because people let their stuff set. We have people bringing in all types of stuff saying "I put in(leave this blank on purpose)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ but now it won't run. We ask did you drain the bowl(s) AND treat fuel or did you just treat the fuel? I don't think but a couple admitted to draining the bowl(s) because we treated the fuel. The fuel now has created a lot of problems for everyone. Not only carbs but fuel pumps too.
Have taken fuel pumps apart and found brown slime inside.
If you going to treat fuel drain your bowls also. Recommend draining tanks if going to sit for more than 4 weeks.
Posted like you ARE a professional! I'm not, but I tell folks all the time to use SeaFoam or Startron or whatever and drain their carb bowls regularly, because if the stuff is doing its job it's loosening up "carb boogers" that will cause problems until they dissolve.

I use SeaFoam regularly to prevent any such buildup, and STILL regularly drain my carb bowls. And my '85 GL1200 Aspy runs BETTER than it did off the showroom floor. And I'm not that great of a mechanic!

The other thing I do, besides synch'ing the carbs and dialing in the pilot screws once per year is whenever I plan to do an oil change I dose the crankcase with 4-6oz. of SeaFoam and go for a 100 mile ride before I drain the old oil. With older bikes, it cleans a lot of sludge from the nooks and crannies in our engines. And, I use Amsoil 10W-40 oil now, and my 1200 has never run better. It simply "clicks" between gears up or down. No "crunchiness" at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never used Seafoam and just herd about it on this forum. where do you get? do you just add it to the fuel and run like stP gas additive to clean? I didn't use the stuff for two consecutive years and ten had to have the carbs cleaned on by 85 Interstate.

On my cars I drain oil, install a new filter, add one quart of oil and three quarts of #2 diesel fuel and let it run at idle for 5-7 minutes. Did it with the wing at 26,000 miles. Due again next change.

However, I like the sound of this Seafoam stuff. Looking for tips.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
WalMart and lots of other places.
I use Seafoam as a gasoline additive...you'll find the mixing ratio on the can.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Interesting about carburetors. I rode my '93 for over 150,000 miles and never touched the carbs. I did give her a dose of Sea Foam about every three months. Also the bike wasn't laid up much at all during the seven or so years I had it. I used to put over 20,000 miles a year on it. The point is that the carbs didn't need any maintenance. I checked the sync a few times but never found it far enough off to bother doing anything to it. I think the most important thing for a carbureted engine is that it gets used often and not left sitting for lengths of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.