Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

what fuel is best for the 1986 gl 1200 i the book say 92 or better super, can i use the mid grade 87?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wing nut wrote:
what fuel is best for the 1986 gl 1200 i the book say 92 or better super, can i use the mid grade 87?
Never had any problems with regular unleaded, the cheap stuff. If it isn't pinging and the mileage is okay that should be that!

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

85 aspy. I use regular unleaded...and get far better mileage than my buddy 86 interstate he uses premium

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

All Wing owners that I know of use unleaded. It's difficultt to get anything other than unleaded in many European countries nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
All Wing owners that I know of use unleaded. It's difficultt to get anything other than unleaded in many European countries nowadays.
When most of the garages pulled the plug on everything but unleaded years ago, we were all worried about how our cars and bikes would run. My how times change, we all adapted quickly enough. Just shows how we can make sacrifices if we have to.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Never had any problems with regular unleaded, the cheap stuff. If it isn't pinging and the mileage is okay that should be that!
Terminology comes from old days. Regular, Ethyl, Unleaded. Of course all gasoline sold in the US today is unleaded, and of course they don't call it regular anymore since there are always at least three grades, but old habits die hard. More to the point, I've always wondered why they need three grades? Low and High octane should be sufficient.

Nowadayswhenthe waitress/waiter (sure as hell not waitperson) at atruck stopasks regular or decaf, they don't know what you mean when you tell them to fill it up with ethyl/

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Unless you are having performance problems with the low octane unleaded fuel, stay with it.. The owners manual for the GL1200 specifies low octane, so save your hard earned money and avoid the expensive stuff. Some wings that I have worked on with fuel performance problems had carbon build-up on the valves, pistons & cylinder heads. Once the carbon was removed, they purred. Gasoline is taking huge increases here in the states lately, and I can't see burning my money out the tail pipe....

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I dont have any problems with types of fuel for the :18red:Everytime i pick her up at the neighbours house the tank wherever it is, is always full. :weightlifter:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Talking about our increasing gasoline prices here in the states won't garner any sympathy from our poor Irish, English and European friends. They've been beaten over the head so hard with taxes. I've wondered at times why? Our gas tax goes mostly for roads and maintenance in most states and we do have a lot of roads covering most of a large continent, so why aren't our taxes higher than theirs? I'd expect they should never see a pothole or bad pavement in their lifetimes with the difference in fuel taxes, butsadly I think that the truth is different. Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking fault with anyone's system, just really can't see why.

:baffled::15red::stumped:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The same reason as in Canada, the taxes go in to the general pot for the govenrment to squander as it sees fit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.