Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've always been a 3/4 face helmetguy. In the past, I've never really given much thought to helmet saftey. I bought a new touring 3/4 face with visor last year, but no vents. Man, didI sweat in that! Also, I might have bought a size tosmall, because I had a couple pressure points bother me after riding 1/2 hour or longer. Tought about trying a 1/2 shell ( for something cooler ), butmy attention was brought to a Shoei full face with vents on ebay, cheap ( Cheap, my middle name ). Just wondering what youguys like. Sorry, I'm a tight ass, wont spend big bucks on a helmet.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Shoei is a top of the line helmet. As for me, I've always worn full face helmets. Check this link http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/64395.html
and read Cousin Jack's post. I had an accident about 20 years ago and my helmet looked pretty much the same. As you can see by the helmet the 3/4 or 1/2 wouldn't have done squat for me or Cousin Jack. I'll never pass up an opportunity to get on my Soap Box about full face helmets.

Jeff

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

I'm another in the camp of a full face or I don't ride.

The thought of an exposed chin scraping the concrete does not thrill me that much.

No helmet will help you though if it does not stay on your head. Mine was jerked off by something during my bad off a year ago January, and I received some bad noggin bumps because of that.

So be sure the straps are fitting correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Shoei RF Full Face for me.
If figure if I'm going to go through all the motions of carrying, putting on, wearing a helmet, I may as well have one that offers the best protection.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Yup, full face, I'm just used to it now, in fact I feel naked without it; also cuts down on road noise. For cooler weather it is a definite help, for warm weather, open the vents.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Due to limited vision in one eye, I use open face with flip down visor. That plus allergy season for me is mid-May to the end of July. I can't see myself sneezing in a full face.:D

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I like my modular helmet. should offer more protection than a beanie or 3/4 helmet..
much easier with glasses., my glasses did not like being forced into a full face. a good modular will have metal locks for the flip part.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
imported post

Full face with SNELL rating for me.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Yup, full-face helmet or I don't ride.

The Harry Hurt report (the bible of motorcycle accident statistics) discovered that just shy of 40% of all helmet impacts are on the CHIN! So, to me, an open face helmet is only about 1/2 protection for your head.

My wife and I ride with Arai helmets, armored TourMaster jackets and Sidi boots. Expensive yes, but our safety is worth it! I'm not a rich man either. I ride a $3,000 bike, but our riding gear cost over half of that amount!

Now, I do wish I could afford a bike with ABS brakes to help me avoid all the moronic, cell-phone implanted, cage drivers out there! But, that's anther subject.

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

My first helmet was a 3/4. Bought new full face Bells this winter. I rode 2500 miles on vacation a couple of weeks ago. The full face was quieter and kept me warmer as I went through the temp changes of 45 degrees to 85 degrees. The added protection for my chin and face are great are the main reason I went with them to begin with

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I use them all, depending on the weather. When I take a long trip, I usually take a full-face and a 1/2. Nothing worse than hitting 100 degree weather in a full-face behind the wrap around 1200 fairing, unless of course it is hitting rain and hail in a 1/2 face when it was warm earlier that day.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

wing ding wrote:
Due to limited vision in one eye, I use open face with flip down visor. That plus allergy season for me is mid-May to the end of July. I can't see myself sneezing in a full face.:D
Allergies are why I have a full face with flip shield also. :cool:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i use a 1/2 helmet year round because i can't standhaving myface covered unless its realy cold or raining hard & i haven't found a 3/4 that fits my big head that has a tight fit flip down shield since the gap on the snap on sheilds still lets water onto the inside of the sheild & then i can't see.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

I like having a modular helmet. I have had Nolan N100 and I now have a HJC Symax 2

Both have their good and bad points. I like the ability to change with the weather conditions.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I use 1/2 shells most of the time for summer riding but all that's changing now that I bought new 3/4 HJC's for the headsets to go into. These actaully have 2 shields, an inner sun shield kinda like a jet pilot's helmet then a full outer flip down shield that really cuts down on wind and road noise.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/18819

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Been working on this one all evening, finally got it all back together and the headsets installed into it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

My head and my choice. I'm just saying. Scorpion EXO 1000. Also have the EXO 400 for my wife and I.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.