Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I have been thinking of switching to a full face helmet from the 3/4 helments that we have been wearing. Does anybody out there have input - advice? We have been looking at a modular (flip-up) model like this one ... http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_clmax.htm

Any feed back would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I use a scorpion exo400 and love it. I also use a bell mag8 for warm weather and love it also.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I just bought one (Cl-Max) 2 weeks ago. So far so good.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

foxtrot5 wrote:
My wife and I have been thinking of switching to a full face helmet from the 3/4 helments that we have been wearing. Does anybody out there have input - advice? We have been looking at a modular (flip-up) model like this one ... http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_clmax.htm

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Foxtrot5, These are the heluts that My partner & I use, I find them very cumphy but a little heavy. Also these need to be tried on as the sizes are a little off. I normally wear a M but with HJC I need L. Good luck.:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

I personally have a 3/4 and a flip-up helmet. I prefer the 3/4 helmet because it make me feel more part of the things around me, were my partner only use the flip-up face down. I am sure that you will have more protection with the flip-up face down than with the openface (3/4) helmet. I still prefer the openface irrespective of the less protection.:waving:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
I personally have a 3/4 and a flip-up helmet. I prefer the 3/4 helmet because it make me feel more part of the things around me, were my partner only use the flip-up face down. I am sure that you will have more protection with the flip-up face down than with the openface (3/4) helmet. I still prefer the openface irrespective of the less protection.:waving:
Johan. I know what you mean. I use a 1/2 helmet almost exclusively.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I know the full face offers the most protection in the event of a bad hair day, but I am not comfortable wearing them because I feel deaf & my perrifferal vision seems narrowed.

Best case senario for you would be to borrow one for a test ride before spending alot of money only to find out, you dont like it.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I've had a Nolan X Lite, which was good, but now have a shoei Multitec. I was looking at a caberg to replace the Nolan (old now), but tried the shoei on in the shop- just to see. Once tried I had to buy it. It is the quietest and by far most comfortable helmet I've ever had. I forget I've got it on. Downside is that it was expensive and, having tried mine, the missus wants one too. PS, I ride with it open around towns and at low speeds, and as it lifts well out of the way visibilty is excellent, actually- I'm not sure if this is legal- but I've never been stopped.

Beware- some of the cheap models out there as they don't lift up far, and you are very aware of the face part sticking out front. They also tend to be heavy.I tried the 3/4 face but it was too noisy for me- purely personal opinion- as with all things you need to trade off the good and bad points for you. Hope this helps Steve

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Foxtrot5.

I see you are in Poland so I assume that the helmets there have to reach the European standard, so I would not worry too much about the safety aspect.

My priority is always comfort and features and to find this out you have to try them on. Even if it means going into a shop to try on and then ordering on the internet to save money.

We have had Caberg Justisimo, Nolan 102 and now Nolan 103's between Helen and me.

All have been flip front helmets and we like the options that they provide over full or open face.

Some folks say the Cabergs are a bit noise, but we didn't find them to be overly so. They have the inside smoked visor too which is a good feature.

The Nolan 102 was a good helmet for me, and I mainly changed to a 103 because of the inside smoked visor of the 103. Down side is that they are noisier than the 102 and cut higher at the nape of the neck so more draughts, ( I overcome this with a neck tube type of scalf)

If you do plumb for a Nolan, do not buy the N-com system, it is total rubbish!!!!:XI am that disatisfied with the N-com that I would almost say, buy just about any other sort of headset!!!!:X

Truth is you have got to go try them all on to see what suits your head shape and doesn't leave you with pressure points being pressed. What you may like the style of, won't necessarily fit.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

steve worth wrote:
PS, I ride with it open around towns and at low speeds, and as it lifts well out of the way visibilty is excellent, actually- I'm not sure if this is legal- but I've never been stopped.

The danger here is that if you go down the extended flip front can act as a lever and cause serious neck injury. Fatally serious. Paralizingly serious.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I must admit to riding with mine flipped up, but only at low speeds and coming to a stop, I now habitually drop it down when I gain speed etc.

if you are a wearer of glasses, I thoroughly recommend them over full face, as the flip front allows the helmet to be put on and taken off without fighting with the glasses first.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well there is a very good helmet that no one ever seems to even know exists. I see one post up above about them, and it is the first mention of Scorpion I have ever seen on this site.

I have one of the full face 1000 Scorpion helmets. It is a high priced helmet too, but about the same as the Nolan, and it rivals the Shoei.

But alas it is not a flip up. But for a full face helmet perhaps the quietest of them all. I won it in a raffle, it is white, did not like that, and it is not a flip up, do not like that, but honestly it is a great helmet and very quiet.

Kit

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thank you all for the good replies. You have given us plenty of info to use as we choose a new helmet. Really appreciate it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I have one of these http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/441/25524
caberg helmets,
I normally ride with it open and only drop the front when it's cold/raining, the good thing is, it has the sun visor which is easy to use with gloved hands and this helmet comes with the conversion kit to change it to a full time open face helmet, the conversion takes about 5 minutes and the same to revert it back to flip front. It can be done by the side of the road but the parts are small and easily dropped.

I don't find the Caberg any noisier than any other helmet i've owned, the ventilation with the front down is really good, keeping the visor mist free

Just to add, there is also a cable gland at the rear for intercomms and the helmet is Bluetooth earpiece freindly, I think there is also a version with Bluetooth stuff built in.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I bought a Caberg Justisimo as shown on the previous link, The sun visor bit is great and it's nicely made, but it doesn't lift up high and you are aware of the face part- both in your vision and in the weight of it.My son uses it and gets on with it fine, but I prefer the Shoei Multitec- twice the price though. Steve

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

i use the hjc sy-max II it is a full face flip up and has a sun visor also. cheapest place i found was here http://tinyurl.com/cgkxhb

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

i use the hjc sy-max II it is a full face flip up and has a sun visor also. cheapest place i found was here http://tinyurl.com/cgkxhb

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I also use a Sy-max. It is cheaper than many others, but you get what you pay for. It has too much wind noise with the shield down. I have a short windshield so the wind noise may not be a problem to those with taller windshields. My next helmet will be lighter and better sealed.

John

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.