Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know Brojees and some others don't like them, but I sure was glad I was wearing one today!

While on the way home I was passing slower traffic when I suddenly found myself in the middle of a swarm of bees!:shock:

Fortunately I had the visor all the way closed for once. I usually leave it open a couple of inches to help circulate air. Since I just barely moved back into my lane and was still moving along pretty good, I kept the juice on and passed through the swarm quickly. I didn't get stung but my face shield took a couple of really good direct hits from the fat little bast.......bugs. Even if I hadn't got stung, just the impact of them in my face could have been a serious issue. I got stung a couple of months ago in the chest and have no desire to experience multiple stings to my face.

Farmers have set up hives along that section ofhighway topollinatecrops. Guess I'll keep it closed while passing through that area all the time now.

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That was close Bob. I have a cousin(Fergal)who has impaired vision in one eye because a small fly hit it while he was riding a CX500 as a courier years ago. Open face lid and no sunglasses or eye protection. He reckons he was only doing about 40mph and the fly was tiny, but it hit him right on the eyeball. The surgeon in the eye hospital picked bits of fly out of Fergal's eye, while at the same time lecturing him about not wearing glasses or FF lid. To this day Fergal only has about 30% vision in his right eye and the black part of the pupil always looks like it's spread into the coloured part of his eye. :(

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

AZ LOL!! Believe it or not, I am actually wearing mine over 75% the time now. I have the intercom working, my cell phone connection is in it and the padding is perfectly fitted to me.

Using the dark smoke shield with no need for sunglasses. We will see how it is as the weather warms up as the Bell Elite IIs are not vented.

It took a long while to get used to and beat my claustaphobia, but I convinced myself of the need. I do treat myself to the open face a wee bit, but then I miss my other conveniences like the cell. My son is a courier in Houston on the road as much as I am. Our cell plans allow us to talk free, so I have spent hours riding and talking with him. That alone has really helped me accustom to the fullface.

I do admit though every so often my pulse will race when I stop and do not get it off right away. My glasses remain an irritation, but the flip faces are still intimidating me when I try them on. So I have learned an easy way to thread the spectacle arms in, I do it while the helmet is still high on my face then bring it all down together. Cannot wear contacts and corrective surgery is out, so I had to accustom myself to this part as well.

As to the safety, that goes without saying. Appearance is good too, an all black helmet with dark smoke shield and a gold eagle above the eyeprot? IMPRESSIVE!! Mounted on a Black and Chrome rolling juke box!! Spectacular!! Manly physique erect in the saddle!! Awe inspiring!! Gut bouncing at every bump!! ....Let's not go there!! It does though perfectly hide my bald head!:gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I have never worn a full face helmet, and at this stage of my life i dont think i ever will. :stumped: NolanN41 Classic Plus with visor is what i wear.:clapper:

:jumper::18red::jumper:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I ride with a Caberg J1 Plus flip front, the only time the front is down is when either it's freeeeeeeezing or chucking it down in bucketfulls!!!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I've said this before.

Full face helmets save lives. I know I'm one of them!!!:action:

I don't ride to the letterbox without it on. You never know when some idiot in a cage is going to pull out in front of you.

Andrew

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Andrew1 :waving:You never said a more true word. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I prefer a 3/4 helmet but my neighbors said they'd be willing to chip in and buy me a full face helmet...

something about beautifying the neighborhood!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Where can we send our contributions?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I prefer a 3/4 helmet but my neighbors said they'd be willing to chip in and buy me a full face helmet...

Are you sure you are not related to REDWING ?:baffled::baffled: He gets everthing from the neighbour as well ,:jumper:Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

You did not know about Paul and Redwing's relation? I thought everyone did!!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey exavid :waving:Thats what good neighbours are for. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
You did not know about Paul and Redwing's relation? I thought everyone did!!
Hey Brojees :waving:Keep it quite, thats a state secret. :leprechaun:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
exavid wrote:

Are you sure you are not related to REDWING ?:baffled::baffled: He gets everthing from the neighbour as well ,:jumper:Ciaran
Nah, it's just those damn Environmental Protection Agency people, something about visual degradation of the area. I had a similar problem when I showed up at the beach for a swim, next thing you know I got a whole bunch of idiots pouring water on me and trying to tow me out to sea.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Free Willy!!!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Free Willy!!!!!
I hear Orca tastes just like Chicken!:cheeky1: