Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Have to agree! I wore a helmet right from the off; 47 years ago, before it was compulsory in the UK.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I sent this one to a couple fools I know, and printed it so I can post it in my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
imported post

I have a Friend that rides like that, shorts t-shirt flip flops or tennis shoes no gloves.

Makes me cringe every time he rides up and puts his foot down to stop.:shock:

I've asked him what happens when he has one of those flies off when he's going down the road pavement gets pretty hot around here in the summer?

I'm told that they train to your foot like a normal shoe.:?But yet he wears a full face go figure.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mea culpa! I have to admit to an occasional wearing of shorts and Teva sandals on short errands on the Silverwing. Not smart, not a good idea. Yeah, I know. The devil makes me do it.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I see it all the time in south Texas.......

I saw a guy yesterday, blue jeans and tennis shoes......, yep no shirt whatsoever.....

YIKES... and he was all over the place trying to do a quick stop........

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Me and my leathers have practiced crashing at the race track several times over the years and the worse thing that happens is that I'm sore for a few days after, These same crashes without my spine prtector and all the safety gear would have been fatal, Ive had to through what looked like good helmets away because they would not pass the Xray test that Arai use to do for free.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The proper gear saves lives. It is so foolish to play the odds!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

In 1978 when I bought my first big motorcycle, the PO gave me a helmet to wear home, I didn't take one with me...I did go buy a 3/4 helmet soon after, the PO had a huge head.....Then a few months later I bought my GS-1000, I never gave it any thought about buying new helmets and leather jackets, yeah the old Harley leather jackets....I did buy both my wife and I some boots, but nothing like on the market today, just a pair of Justin's boots...Our riding gear consisted of long sleeve shirts jeans, boots, helmets, gloves and those leather jackets....We did buy some ski suits for winter riding that really now that I think back, gave us more protection than our summer riding gear......Yes I did often just ride with jeans a tee shirt and my helmets...

When the wife bought me the first Wing she bought me a super nice leather jacket, its black with white and red pieces sewn into a design, not really I see now for riding....I have been giving this "new" riding gear a closer look, because 30 year ago only the guys riding dirt bikes wore this kind of gear, that has become the way to ride.....I have priced riding gear at several places and I have found it to be very very expensive!!!!!....But if you are sliding down the road on your unprotected butt, millions of dollars would be cheaper than the hide your leaving on the pavement....:shock:...So while I may not go out and buy it all at one time I will get it as soon as I can....

Good post BW.....Spells it out rather nicely.....

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I sweat in full gear all the time. The thought of becoming a road crayon is too much to bear.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Five days after our deer collision at 55-60 mph, this is what my rib cage, hip, and thigh looked like...... When we went down, we were wearing mesh jackets and kevlar jeans... The kevlar jeans were a compromise; they worked as promised, they didn't abrade.....but they also did nothing to cushion the blow.

I no longer make that particular compromise....and we wear armored pants wherever we go, mesh if south, cordura if north...... I shudder to think of what I would've looked like if I had been wearing shorts and a t-shirt.... makes me physically ill to even think of it....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
imported post

I went down myself a couple of weeks ago. fortunately for
me I was going slow. Hit some gravel before I knew it I
was sliding along side my bike. Knee is still a little
sore. I am so glad my kids got me some leather chaps
for Christmas.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

cymru wrote:
I sweat in full gear all the time. The thought of becoming a road crayon is too much to bear.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Mea culpa! I have to admit to an occasional wearing of shorts and Teva sandals on short errands on the Silverwing. Not smart, not a good idea. Yeah, I know. The devil makes me do it.
I do it too, sometimes. But some riders do it all the time, and luck can't last forever.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Hi, I was doing some research on proper riding gear. I put in a search FULL GEAR/FOOLS GEAR, one of the links let me to this thread. When I clicked on the link from Broke Winger all I get is an error message. I understand the origional post is over a year old. Can you tell me if the link is still active? It appears from the comments it is important to the topic. If it is not active can somone tell me what was on the link?

Thanks!

Wingnut1

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

cymru wrote:
I realize it's personal choice and all about helmets and other clothing, but.....

One of the funniest sites, to me, are the folks from a different brand that are totally covered in name-branded leather from foot to neck, but bare headed. Even in cold weather. But especially interesting in the summer. Guess their heads are not what's important.

And this is not an anti anything post, just a observation.

Once you hit the ground, there is usually a attitude adjustment if you survive. Been there.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I like my freedom ...and freedom has a price !
I feel free when I ride with my open helmet,shorts,t shirt and sandals ! On a nice day,on a nice road and I feel more close to the surroundings / nature.
When I stop and I get off my bike I feel free when I walk.
I can not imagine to have to walk like a man on the Moon or like a deep ocean diver....
When I ride in groups or with a pillion,I see things different :I have my padded leather,jeans ,a good pair of boots ( good quality,comfortable but not from a motorcycle shop...)and my open face helmet.Gloves very seldom.
I do not plan to fall....and if I do I will pay the price of feeling free !

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I have had that one framed in my garage for a few years now. It has been used in a few classes too!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.