Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD 1 CIRCUT ON THERE FUSE BLOCK LOOSE POWER?

MY RUNNING LIGHT CIRCUT HAS NO POWER. THE FUSE IS OK. ALL OTHERS HAVE POWER. THE UNIT IS SEALED , SO I CAN'T SEE IF THERE ISA BROKEN WIRE.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

what year 84 and 85 Aspy have different fuse boxes according to the schematic

On 84 there is a single black wire from the IGN Switch providing power to the fuse box for everything other than the ACC fuse which is Light Green/black which also comes from the IGN switch.

85 ASpy is pretty well the same other than fuses for the fan which is Blue/Orange from the IGN switch and the air pump fuse.

So if some fuses have power and one hasnt power it has to be a break in the box.

You sure the fuse is OK?

Seeing that they all get their power from the one source, I don't see why you couldnt jumper the bad power side from the power side of the next one, thats all it's doing behind the scene anyway.

You used a V meter on the power side to check?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks tricky. i tried a jumper, the wire started to get warm so i pulled it off. i am thinking that there might be a dead short in the circut. i need to trace all of the running light wires.:X

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

is no power just like a short but with a hotter wire?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i don't understand the question?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

billyteeee wrote:
thanks tricky. i tried a jumper, the wire started to get warm so i pulled it off. i am thinking that there might be a dead short in the circut. i need to trace all of the running light wires.:X
WHat size fuse was in the circuit, and did you check for 12V on the hot side of the fuse, with the fuse out of course?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

it is a 10amp fuse. the circut is dead. all of my running lights are out. no power at all. do you know if there is a fuse somewhere in line? even my dash running lights are out.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

billyteeee wrote:
If there was a short, that fuse would have blown.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

headlight is on. it is on another circut . but the running lights on th side of it are out

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

The running lights, the dash lights and the 2 fairing corner lights are all on the same circuit...you must have either a dead short in the system which would pop the fuze or a bad connection inside the fuze block. You may have to trace the wires for all those one at a time. If you put a jumper wire after the fuze (with the fuze out)on that line and it gets hot then you have a dead short...you just have to trace it out. If it works and doesn't get hot then it must be somewhere before that...at least you can narrow it down.

You can get a resetable breaker to replace the fuze so you don't have to keep buying fuzes while you are looking for the short.

Cerfer

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Cerfer07 wrote:
You can get a resetable breaker to replace the fuze so you don't have to keep buying fuzes while you are looking for the short.

Cerfer
Just an added Idea! I call it the smart light bulb trick. if you jump the fuse out, put a 12 volt light bulb in the jumped link. If you have a short, the light buld will light bright. You can leave this in for troubleshooting with out hurting your circuit. you can disconnect different parts of your circuit to see when the light dims, once the light dims, you just found the shorted portion of the circuit because you just disconnected the short. Sometimes you can't find a short with a meter because some circuits have to be engergize cause the short. The light buld will most likely allow enough current to engergize the a circuit.

The bulb will be bright under two conditions,

1. A shorted circuit

2. A heavly loaded circuit

That being said, trouble shoot with discrestion.

I call it the smart light bulb because it tells me when I have found the short so it's a smart light bulb.

Now isn't that a "bright" idea!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you look at the original post, I understand it as there was no power to the fuse. Thats why I suggested to jumper the power side of the fuse from one of the good sources.
He then says that the wire got hot when it was jumpered, but also he said that the original fuse was OK.
Something is screwy, if it was a short in the running light wiring, that fuse would have blown.

I asked him if he checked for voltage with the fuse out, meaning the supply side of the fuse.

He can check for shorts till the cows come home but if there isnt any power going to the fuse in the first place (which is what I understood him to say)

"HAS ANYONE EVER HAD 1 CIRCUT ON THERE FUSE BLOCK LOOSE POWER?

MY RUNNING LIGHT CIRCUT HAS NO POWER. THE FUSE IS OK. ALL OTHERS HAVE POWER. THE UNIT IS SEALED , SO I CAN'T SEE IF THERE ISA BROKEN WIRE."
unqote

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

thanks all for the imput.has anyone ever had a ignition switch problem that has caused the power to be out on that circut? tricky sent me a diagram. the power is traced back to the swtich. it says to the "p" on the switch. i have read that the 84 aspys had a ignition switch problem but nothing on the 85 aspy. if so is ther an aftermarket switch? or do i need to go to mother honda and empty my 401k to buy it.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

But if you have power to the other fuses then it cant be that.

You could disconnect the plug (right inner fairing wall) under the rubber cover, and test the IGN Switch. but if the Headlamp is working then there is power coming from the IGN Switch.

You say the circuit is dead, did you remove the fuse and actually test for power on the hot side with a voltmeter? with the IGN switch ON?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

no i used a test light

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Are you talking about the two lights beside the headlamp?

If you want to test the IGN switch

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.