Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1993 Gl1500 SEand this just started. I attached a trailor and at the plug for the trailor it is a five square plug in. I cleaned every thing up in the plug but it seems when I plug the trailor in some time during the ride I blow the Tail light fuse,It is a 15 fuse and I was wondering should I put in a 20 too over come the trailor... I will wait for all of you welcome advise,you guys are great I can only hope I can help someone myself.

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Greg, why not put some LED bulbs in the trailer. That would reduce the load and the lights will still function properly. If you're still blowing fuses then you have another problem.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

If the fuse doesn't blow just sitting there it but blows when you are out ona ride it would appear that there is a bare spot on one of the wires and it makes an intermittant contact, blowing the fuse. Check your wiring first. Bigger fuses just cause bigger problems.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

nobbie

I was thinking that that a bigger fuse might mean more problems. I will look for a bare spot. This only happens when I hook up. Just want to haul my golf clubs to the course.

Also I might try the LED lights when I find the wire problem

Thanks again

Greg

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

My 84 nighthawk 700 never blows fuses with the trailer on. If you want I will trade bikes and trailers even up. :baffled: I don't live all that far away. :waving: I don't mind the extra effort I would have to put in tracking down a bare wire. REALLY!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

The reason you have fuses is to do just this, when a fault arrises it blows and protects the wiring etc, the fault is on the trailer, putting in led bulbs wont cure this fault, is does sound that its a wiring fault, something is shorting out, you nee dto check the wiring for damage, the plug and the light fittings, also look for bad connections or loose wires, this can cause an arc and draw excesive current

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I agree with the bare wire shorted to ground. I have had this happen may times with automobiles. " I cleaned up the plug" could also mean an intermittent internal short. The intermittent short is from the vibration when you are riding. Try flexing the connectors and see if you can simulate the short. If not follow the wires and move them around to see if you can duplicate the probem. Intermittent electrical problems are always frustrating and require a patient sequential approach. Not to mention some luck. :) dj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.