Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently took out my radio, because it didn't work, and now my brakelight, turn signal and horn are not working. I checked the fuse and it was blown so I replaced it and it blows immediately when I turn the key on. I've taped up any/all wires after I took out the radio and since then checked to see if there was any wires touching metal. I am lost and before I take it to my trusty mechanic I thought I'd check here and give it another go... HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

what bike are you talking about?, ur profile lists a standart model, what kind of fairing do you have?, check the turn signals wires, while working the radio out you could have pulled a wire or something.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Its a 1980 1100gl and I've pretty much checked for any loose wires.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I know it sucks but if you pop a fuse like that you have live going to ground. If you use a multi meter, set it to ohm's resistance you can test for continuity on your live wires like the power to your brake light to ground. Take out your brake light bulb, touch your red tester pin in the center contact of the bulb socket & put your black tester pin on a ground. You should not get a reading unless you were to touch the brake with a good fuse in the system.
Without a fuse, it should be an open circut. If you get a reading, you have live contacting ground & this must be eliminated.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from North Central Texas.

Depends on how the radio was wired in but removing it should not have given you this problem. The schematic for a 1980 GL 1100 Standard bike harness does notshow wiring fora radio.
Look for a White wire with Green tracer routed from the 15 amp fuse to:
Turn Signal Relay
Turn Signal Buzzer Changing Censor
Turn Signal Buzzer
Horns
Rear Brake Switch at pedal
Rear Brake Switch at handlebar lever

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I looked at all the wiring diagrams for the GL1100 and it appears that since the '80 & '81 did not have self cancelling turn signals they had buzzers to remind the rider to turn off the turn signals and with the self cancelling turn signals that came out on the '82 models and was also on the '83 the buzzer was no longer needed and was not on the '82-'83 GoldWings.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

My '80I has the buzzer and the sensor as does my '80 Standard parts bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.