Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Flyone’s post about future NASR’s got me to thinking. Since I am a new member of the NASR steering committee (Treasurer), I wondered what the rest of the committee thought about me making a thread about future NASR’s for all members to see. The thread would explain to everyone what NASR is all about and have those interested in hosting a NASR to post in the thread.
For a few years, John (AZgl1800) and Andy (lopeha) were the ones seeking future NASR hosts. This puts a burden on just one or two people. I think it would be easier to let the members interested in hosting a NASR to post their interest in the thread and the committee deciding who gets picked to host a NASR. That way it’s all transparent.
I have an idea of what I want to say in the thread. If we agree to making the thread, I will submit it to the committee for review before starting the thread.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
I think it is a good idea Michelle, the members need to made aware, these events don't just happen by magic.

All of our hosts can speak of the work that it takes to make sure that each event goes well.

Or as well as the Wx Man allows it to :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Has there ever been a guide line as far as selecting a Host, as in required to have attended " X " amount of NASR's in the past. I know for me, having attended four NASR's in the past really helped me. I basically knew what was expected & used past events as a guide. You should have something so there is no repeat of NASSIR 9.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. Otherwise nobody that hasn't attended a NASR knows anything about the need for a volunteer host.

Reactions: Snorebaby

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
Loosely, Andy and I have always felt that a good host needs to have attended "several" rally events so that they already know the scheme of how they progress.

NASSIR 9 was the first time we selected a person who had never attended one.
And we all saw how "well" that worked, as in not worth a damn.

To be honest, we were getting a sour feeling about that guy as he never, ever, once, would give a straight answer to a question. And, he would never take a suggestion and call a former host and ask how to do the job.....

We were not thinking Transparency then, but it is obvious as all get out, that needs to be Priority #1 now. Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking that a member ought to have attended '3' rallys?? is that too much to ask?

We have a few special members who have never missed one rally period.... and a few that have attended 6 or more easily.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Here's what we (Doug and I) came up with for review. I'd like to wait a week or two to make the post so to give all time to read thoroughly and make suggested changes if needed.

NASR (North American Summer Rally) is an annual gathering of our forum members in a different location each year. It started as NASSIR (North American Steve Saunders International Rally) in 2008 in honor of the founder of goldwingfacts.com, Steve Saunders, who lives in Ireland. It was a way for forum members from all over the world to meet in person and put faces to names and reinforce friendships made on the forum. In 2017 we changed to NASR as Steve sold the forum in 2012 and we could no longer legally use his name to represent the forum.

A NASR event is voluntarily hosted by a forum member or members. It is best to have 2 or more members host a NASR to help with responsibilities. A NASR host/location can be chosen up to 2yrs prior to the event being held.

We have a NASR 13 (2020) host/location. We are looking for the NASR 14 (2021) & NASR 15 (2022) hosts to get the ball rolling. The NASR 14 host/location will be revealed at the NASR 13 auction.

Guidelines for hosting a NASR is as follows:

1. The NASR official dates will always be a Tues, Wed, Thurs. This gives attendees the weekend to travel to/from NASR and minimize time off from work. The time of year (Month) will be determined by the host(s) for the best time to ride for the area. (Most of the NASR’s have been held in June/July. When it has been held in the South (NASR 1 & 8), September is usually the month of choice).

2. Since we are also there to ride, routes of your favorite roads in the area are a must! Tourist activities if applicable is also communicated to the attendees.

3. The host(s) secures lodging (hotel & camping) at a group rate if possible.

4. Meals (breakfast & dinner) are normally provided by the host(s) by either cooking onsite or contracted with a catering business or restaurant that can accommodate a large group and is normally prepaid by the attendees.

5. The host(s) design and print T-Shirts to be sold (prepaid) to the attendees and any member wanting to purchase them.

6. A charity is determined by the host(s) that will receive the proceeds of the auction.

If you are interested in hosting a NASR, please reply to this thread with your intended dates/location.

The steering committee will select a host/location and help with any questions the host may have. The committee tries not to have back to back NASR’s in the same general area. This allows the most people to attend as much as possible.

There is a small fund to help the host with deposits to try and keep the out-of-pocket funds of the host to a minimum. All funds requested will go through the committee before being distributed.

All questions should be asked in this thread to keep continuity and help future hosts with answers to questions already asked.

Thank You for your interest. Hope to see you at a future NASR.
Thread started by Michele (Snorebabe) on behalf of the Steering Committee.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I like the premise of this held in the open forum. A couple of questions.

When you select a Host, At what point will you give him (her) access to the Coordinators forum. My thinking is, if your select member "XYZ" from Denver & they continue to ask questions in the open forum,
then people will be able to figure out the next location.

Are you going to have a requirement of attending a previous NASR?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

When you select a Host, At what point will you give him (her) access to the Coordinators forum. My thinking is, if your select member "XYZ" from Denver & they continue to ask questions in the open forum,

I was thinking that as soon as a host is selected and they accept then they would be added to the Coordinators forum.

It would be nice if they have attended a previous NASR but I think we are limiting future host if this is a requirement.

Thanks for your input. Some good things to think about.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
the post is good....

although it needs to have white space between the bullet points.
I have edited Michelle's post to add that white spaces to show what i mean.

a page that is totally full of text is hard for readers to assimilate.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been 2 weeks since I posted, if there are no other suggestions or edits, I plan to post to the open forum tomorrow (Monday 7/15).

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts

I never understood why it needs to be a secret.
At least the first host had never attended one.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
I replied to Galaxyhunter's post today.

I am now feeling that we need to post up a schedule of all Known future events and their hosts, even if we get 3 years worth lined up. It would help folks to plan their vacations, as a lot of employers require a full year's advance notice to put in for a Vacation Date.

Others have to work off of a Seniority List, and that is how they get their vacation a full TWO years down the road. I have worked in both of these environments, it causes a lot of hard feelings sometimes when plans get broken.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
I never understood why it needs to be a secret.
At least the first host had never attended one.
Dave0430, the reason in the past and this was one of Steve Saunders’ rules. In the beginning, our goal was that we try to get at least two years worth of hosts/places in advance.

The reason for the rule was because we have had members in past start talking about a future event before the current year’s event has taken place and undermine the host or the place which wasn’t fair to the host(s) who volunteered their time and efforts. As you know from experience, people will complain about anything including location.

Now, if the committee wants to announce future years events in advance.....OK, but trust me, members will complain about locations with absolutely no intention of ever going or have never been to one of our events but it’s their call. I’m good either way.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
DougW is the worst complainer of all..

he did not wait 15 minutes from the time we announced the location of next year's NASR at Norfork AR when he started bitcHng about no RV campgrounds for him...

we told everyone up front, there are plenty of good campground sites, but we needed time to go inspect each of them personally to get the best one for the group....

Andy and I converse on this subject a lot, we do a lot of OTR time every Sunday, and we have commiserated on all of the mistakes we made in the past...

and we have agreed that we only mention 1 year at a time, just for the reason Bill just talked about. there are spoilers who will intentionally start talking about the one that is closer to them, rather than the one for next year.

when I was at Winston, MO for the last memorial ride, Bob and Anita mentioned they would "like to" host a NASR... but I have not heard anything about that since then.

I'm glad that we now have this Coordinator's forum and more folks to give ideas on the NASR events.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
e past...

and we have agreed that we only mention 1 year at a time, just for the reason Bill just talked about. there are spoilers who will intentionally start talking about the one that is closer to them, rather than the one for next year.

That makes perfect sense.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
as of this point in time, 2021 is not spoken for, nor have we had any volunteers for future years.

That of course, can change at any given moment, but our experience in the past, is that takes some prodding to "find volunteers".

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
As all of you know by now, Bob and Anita Smith were going to host 2021, they accepted that just a couple of weeks ago or so when Bill Ladigo was visiting with them.

Today, Lemon, from Ireland has asked if we would like to entertain going to Ireland?

I sent him a PM back saying the following:
2021 was supposed to be "set in stone" with Goldwing4ever "Bob Smith" and his wife "Anita Smith" hosting it in Canada at Niagara Falls.

Unfortunately, as you have probably read by now, Bob Smith had a sudden massive heart attack on 11 Nov last, that took his life before he could hit the ground. He was attending memorial services for other members who had passed.
What a sour coincidence.

So, with your offering to host, I think that will probably give you a chance for 2021.
2020 will be in Norfork, Arkansas, USA in June of next year.
Keep that thread popping up every couple of days.....
we need to find out if Anita Smith will have any interest in hosting it after Bob's death. :(

We need to give Anita some time to grieve before we ask her if she intends to host 2021.
I for one, would love to try and make it to Ireland.

. guess we would have to dream up a "Trefin" name for NASR ?? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts