Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they use a standard G P S unit on there motorcycle and if so does it work ok and how long have you used it. I want blue tooth and would like to download maps on my computer and put them into the GPS. The ones just for bikes are a little pricey

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I have a Garmin 1450LMT I mount on the bike with RAM mounts. Works great, but there are 2 issues. The voice directions come from a small speaker on the back of this unit, o bluretooth, no way to route it through the bike's intercom, so I can't hear the directions. It is also not waterproof, but in the rain I just cover it with a zip-lock bag and haven't had a problem

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I have a Kuryakyn "device" holder (GPS, Cell phone, EZ Pass, etc) on my handlebars, and it holds my Droid X with 4 points of contact, and is adjustable on two sides.

Considering Smartphones are also GPS devices now, I would never pay the $500+ that most standalone GPS units are now.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I just use co-pilot on my mobile phone. Never lets me down. I usualy put ear phones in under helmet without problem. I have made a junp lead to plug into bikes sound system but i'm still refining it.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
I have a Garmin 1450 LMT also and it does a pretty good job in the car. Not enough audio for the bike though as I have deaf ears....

My favorite was the Gamin 660 as it had an internal FM transmitter and I could hear it through the FM radio on the bike's speakers. Wow!!!! loved it and poof! the screen broke.

I am going to get me another GPS with the internal FM transmitter as I need those fairing speakers up loud!!!

My Android Smartphone is even better with giving directions than the Garmin GPS units, but the downside is getting it into the bike's system and keeping the charger plugged in.

The charging port on smartphones is so fragile, they don't take a lot of mistreatment.. my phone's charging port is almost useless.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I dont need all the bells and whistles so I use a 255w on my VTX, 6 years and zero problems and a 855 on the GW, the 855 will take custom routes.....good luck on your choice...

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 750 for about 3 years. It has an internal FM transmitter that I use to broadcast through the bike's FM radio. It is not waterproof, so when it rains, I put a zip lock bag over it. No problems so far except that in very bright sunlight, it is sometimes hard to see but Jill (the girl in the GPS) just tells me when to turn.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I presently use a TomTom XXL and like it. I have it permanantly mounted right infront of the ignition switch, easy to view and is out of the way of everything.

I can look at mine and see what turns I have next, but am thinking of ordering this to put the sound right into the speaker of my bike, even auto muting the radio:

http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing-GPS-Audio-Input.asp

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Get the Garmin ZUMO 660 as it is an excellent piece of kit. Designed for biking with MP3 player / bluetooth phone system / language convertor etc. I have mine fitted to my GL1800 with the voice / Mp3 / phone routed to the aux on the bikes sound system. I bought a mic splitter from www.edsets.com so I can use my helmet J&M Headset and mic to make and receive tel calls on the move. I found it very easy to fit on the GL1800 with most of it plug and play below the left fairing pocket. Loads of features including lane assist which is excellent. Well pleased with it so far.

For pics see link:-

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...picture29-new-mount-cover-garmin-zumo-660.jpg

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...picture30-new-mount-cover-garmin-zumo-660.jpg

http://www.edsets.com/microphone_signal_splitter?category_id=74

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
I have a garmin 765t with ram mounts and the goldwing docs(Hollsco) interface. Works well, I hardwired the power supply to bike.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I also use a NuVi 1450. It works just fine. Keep the plastic bag handy for the rain.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 765T. It has bluetooth for my phone and I can download custom routes from my computer using either Mapsource or MS Streets and Trips. It also has an MP3 player, an SD card slot (which I use for MP3's) and an FM transmitter and an earphone jack which I use for a cassette adapter in my radio. The only drawback is that it is no longer for sale new. I found mine on e-bay for less than $100.00. Also it is not waterproof, so I use the ziplock baggie waterproofing method.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I mounted a Magellan Roadmate 2200T on the centerline of my 1500. It's traveled there for the past five years, sun, and rain with no problems. It's a bit dated now but it never had a single problem in any kind of weather with no cover other than it's own case. I moved it to my 1800, it now has a clip on the center of the glare shield right behind the windshield. In both installations I put the GPS on the centerline of the bike so it wouldn't take your eyes off the road as long and so I wouldn't tend to wander to the side when looking at it. I now have a newer Roadmate that I'll install as soon as I get a mounting bracket for it. I really believe that having the GPS or anything you need to look at on the centerline of the bike is much safer to use. They look a bit crooked in the pictures but it's just the camera angle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I've got a Garmin zumo 660 and get into the bikes intercom system through a gl2way CB it allowes me to hear the gps promps .. Make and receive phone calls the gl2wayCB would also work with. Cheaper gps as long as one could connect with the CB

·
1,566 Posts
I just use the one that came built in to my '07 Audio/Comfort/Nav. :)

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I have used a Nuvi 660 and currently use a Zumo 665... Both work flawlessly however the Nuvi wasn't waterproof, so like others did, when it rained, I used to out a baggie over it and that worked fine... My current Zumo 665, a bike GPS is waterproof so the baggie isn't necessary anymore... The 665 is a great piece of equipment with XM and Bluetooth, and MP3 player built in... I have my cellphone interfaced as well for handsfree operation with the 665... I love my XM Nav Weather too on the 665... Now the bike Navi has all this as well except you cannot interact with the bike GPS when moving and that is a huge negative in my opinion... The 665 isn't cheap but it is a great unit...

Les

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I dont need all the bells and whistles so I use a 255w on my VTX, 6 years and zero problems and a 855 on the GW, the 855 will take custom routes.....good luck on your choice...
I use the 255W also and have had no problems. Like someone earlier said, I carry a few zip-loc sandwich bags and use them when I get into wet weather. No problems yet.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Don't need anything fancy, so I'm using the $89 TomTom that I've used in the car for the past several years. Using a RAM mount it works just fine. If it rains...I'll stow it in the trunk. Database is a little outdated, so someday I'll just buy a new unit (either a Garmin or TomTom, but entry level).

Different Strokes and all that....best of luck with your own choice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.