Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Most now know about the brake recall, just wondering if anyone out there has had a brake failure because of this issue. Since I imported my wing from the US into Canada, supposedly Honda Canada will not honor any warranty work but since this is a safety issue wondering if that makes them liable regardless where the bike came from.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

The recall has had a lot of coverage, but no mention of actual brakes failing.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I read on another board that Honda of Canada is doing the recall too.
Your dealer should take of it, it's a safety recall.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The brakes don't fail.. they drag (because the return hole can be blocked)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

silverbird wrote:
Most now know about the brake recall, just wondering if anyone out there has had a brake failure because of this issue.  Since I imported my wing from the US into Canada, supposedly Honda Canada will not honor any warranty work but since this is a safety issue wondering if that makes them liable regardless where the bike came from.
Should not have to worry silverbird... Honda Canada is taking thier address list from the Ministry of Transports lists of registered GL1800s in each province. Then your letter will be sent and you should be directed to the closest dealership to where you live. Very few Wings will actually have a new Secondary Master Cylinder installed.

·
saddlesore
13 Posts
I flush front and rear systems every couple years and clean out both calipers at the same time. 136000 very happy miles on my wing with not a single brake problem. But will take it in and let Honda look at it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
recall

Had the recall done on both my Wings. The rear brake on the 02 was dragging. The 01 was not. The 01 has 76,000 miles, the 02 has 56,000.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I thought i would just add to this thread.

Had the recall done today and had a nice 31F ride in and 35F back. Seat heated nicely and Wind Wings work great. No heat coming out of the radiators to deflect.

They barely took 1-3/4hrs. Rear brake switch not misadjusted and comes on when it is supposed to. Nothing broken that i know of.
Took 30 miles to get to dealer 12 miles away. LOL

Sun came out and I really didn't want to go home yet, but it was getting close to supper. Yard was semi-frozen when i left and barely frosty when i came home and mushed through.

I bled the front brakes a couple days ago and bleeders were sluggish. The clutch bleeder was really sluggish. Old 88 was instant bleed even when the fluid looked bad.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
The secondary master cylinder (recall item) failed on my friends 2001 GL1800. When the rear brake was applied it would lock up the rear wheel. Had to open a bleeder valve to free up the wheel. Dealership did the recall and all was well...........!!

Lucky this happen while we had the bike in the garage for some other unrelated maintenance and not on the road.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
that is about the 3rd one I have heard of that did that.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,373 Posts
DBohrer,
How long ago did that happen? Mine caught me while on the road, brakes applied without my input. Recall took care of it about a year ago. When I got my recall letter I called to find out if mine was included because of the past warranty work. Long story short all past recall repairs were done with parts that were from the existing stock that had defective parts included. Honda erased all warranty repairs in history (for recall purposes) and ALL are included in the recall regardless of past work. I'm going to have mine changed out again.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Apparently dealers are taking shortcuts. Mine said they didn't have to remove the front fender totally much less remove the front wheel like the Honda technical bulletin says for the dealer to do. I checked the bike somewhat before i left the dealer but got in too big of hurry to get home and eat supper.

I was trying to figure out how they removed the center covers on each side without removing the 2 bolts on each side that holds the center section to the rear portion of the fender. Well, they did have to remove and reinstall those bolts. I was waxing the bike today and both tabs with nuts on the rear half on the front fender are broken off. 2 tabs on the same side. SURPRISE!!!!!!

That is what i get for not thoroughly checking every bolt and piece of plastic.

WARNING!!!! CHECK YOUR BIKE THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will fess up.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
Apparently dealers are taking shortcuts. Mine said they didn't have to remove the front fender totally much less remove the front wheel like the Honda technical bulletin says for the dealer to do. I checked the bike somewhat before i left the dealer but got in too big of hurry to get home and eat supper.

I was trying to figure out how they removed the center covers on each side without removing the 2 bolts on each side that holds the center section to the rear portion of the fender. Well, they did have to remove and reinstall those bolts. I was waxing the bike today and both tabs with nuts on the rear half on the front fender are broken off. 2 tabs on the same side. SURPRISE!!!!!!

That is what i get for not thoroughly checking every bolt and piece of plastic.

WARNING!!!! CHECK YOUR BIKE THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will fess up.

Well, the dealer flylow and I are going to has had a good reputation, but all the same, I think it would be a good idea for us to both get down on our sides and check things out...

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,373 Posts
If it was that long ago I would have the warranty work done and not worry about it having problems in the future. John, good plan, I didn't think about possible damage so we'll check it out before we ride it out.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Nice today so i rode to the dealer and they WILL replace the rear portion of the front fender. They told me their mechanic is really meticulous and has been working on bikes for 30yrs. They said he noticed the tabs had cracks and should have said something. The service scheduler tried to tell me they didn't even have to mess with the rear part of the fender so i told him to come out to the bike and i will show him how it comes apart to get to the secondary m/c.

I had that fender off for over 2 weeks to mess with it for installing fender extension and had inspected those tabs myself and hadn't seen any cracks. When i put the fender back on i barely tightened the bolts so i know i didn't crack them.

I had the fender off for a while because it was just too cold in the shed to work for awhile
there.

I have pic's of the fender after i glued the rubber extension on. Wonder if i got a close up of the tabs? I don't think i took a side view.

I just hope they didn't overtighten the expensive front portion. I haven't inspected that yet.

A person shouldn't have to take everything back apart just to make sure something isn't broken or misplaced.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Steve, the trouble you are experiencing is precisely why I hate to get anything done at a dealer for either my motorcycle or my other vehicles, especially the Corvette. They just don't seem to care what they mess up and then the service writer will try to deny they even touched that part.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
Apparently dealers are taking shortcuts. Mine said they didn't have to remove the front fender totally much less remove the front wheel like the Honda technical bulletin says for the dealer to do.
I see no reason to have to remove the front wheel and I think it could be done by just removing the screws on the left side of the front fender and pulling the caliper cover out but why? I found a lot of things in Honda service bulletins & in the service manuals over the years I worked on Honda cars that did not have to be taken off to do whatever the job was, some of it totally strange.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.