Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :waving: I'm wondering if you all can recommend a mount for my cell phone, ipod, and XM radio? I just got a new smartphone (LG Optimus) and I really dont want it falling off the bike at highway speeds!!!

any input is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I agree that the RAM mounts are a very good mount and they have one to fit just about anything. I have been using a RAM for my GPS for several years and it works great. There is no way it is going to get loose from that mount and fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Have you considered a Texelent Bar??? I have used one on two different bikes now and been very happy with the versatility...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Looks like the system pictured above is great for more than 2 gadgets. Ram is excellent for 1 or 2, in my experience.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Most recommend the Ram Mounts, I have made a few of my own from scrap pieces in the garage. However a good (meaning almost free) version of the Texelent Bar would be a piece of good flat bar stock (preferably aluminum) drilled at both ends and attached to the brake reservoirs. Now you can just drill and attach anything you want anywhere along that bar.

·
Premium Member
1986 Aspencade SEi
362 Posts
Check the following link...[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Navitech-Waterproof-Including-Blackberry-BlackBerry/dp/B004P9W71W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1333157944&sr=8-4[/ame]

That's what I have and the only issue I've had with it is my Android smart phone get's awfully hot if I leave it closed up and charging. I just open the zipper while it's charging and everything is fine. The price is certainly easy to live with.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Watch out for overheating conditions. If your riding on a nice sunny day, the sun beats down on that type of unit and a lot of heat builds up, specially if the unit is on, which it most likely will be, that why you have it there. I had one for my GPS and it would get so hot in there, when I unzipped it, I couldn't touch the gps unit it was so hot....... and not working anymore ..........

Use with caution!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got new Ram mount today, all ready for a ride but the bike is still in the garage. Stupid rain!!!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have the Garmin Zumo 660 on my bike which means I don't need an MP3 player or a phone mount as the Zumo does it all for me. With all my MP3 files loaded into the Zumo I have a enough music to keep me happy for many hours. The Zumo uses bluetooth to link up to your mobile phone.

I added a very simple mic splitter from edsets.com which allows me to use the helmet's headset and mic to make a receive telephone calls on the move. It's means I can keep the mobile in my pocket out of harms way without having to touch it as all my call details appear on the Zumo screen. There is no need for loads of equip mounted on the bike with the Zumo 660 as everything you need is in the one unit. The Zumo even has a kindle style facility to read books on it if bored on the campsite. It also has a language convertor which is handy if you don't speak a foreign language. Good piece of kit and a great Sat Nav as well.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...icture29-new-mount-cover-garmin-zumo-660.html

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I got some 2 inch wide metal stock from Lowe's.. cut a piece about 12 inches long, put it in the vise and hammered a 90 degree angle in the top 2 inches.
On that 90 degree angle I mounted my GoPro Camera. A few inches under that I installed some industrial strength velcro, and attach my radar detector there.... further down at near the other end of this metal stock I drilled a hole large enough to fit between the bolt/wing nut 'split stem' that holds the garmin at one end, and on my bike at the other end.

Things are can all be adjusted and fitted fine.

I painted mine rattle can black... it works fine and was fun to build and is very cheap. I'm sure improvements upon this are just a matter of what you might need for your own stuff.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tank Bayard
Adding a picture would help clearify how you mounted it to the bike and gadgets attached.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
You can mount multiple RAM units on the Texelent Bar, and I think it will fit just abount any motorcycle handle bar.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.