1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey, It's me again....

Just quick question depending on how fast you can read... Sorry

I have a 1979 GL1000. Got it running somewhat... however, the engines starts only with full, wide open choke. warms up at about 900 rpms then suddenly it will ramp up (gallop?) up to about 2500 rpms and drop back down to 900, then back up, followed by another drop and so on and so forth.

Reducing the choke only kills the engine. Is this a timing issue, carberator issue, Both, or something entirely different?:(

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Not sure what is "full, wide open choke".
Then you say "reducing the choke".
Anyway, it sounds like carb. problems, not timing.
Check for vacuum leaks also.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Plugged up idle jets in the carburators. Time to remove them and do a good cleaning of all the jets and passages. Not a difficult job. Just takes time and care to get to them all....

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Last question....is it worth the money for 4 kits to rebuild or just do a really good cleaning job?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

You may see a big improvement with a good cleaning. However, There are some rubber parts especially that should be replaced. O rings etc, considering the age of the bike they have to be in need of renewing....

I would check Randakks.com. He will have everything you need and the quality is the best...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

retiredintime wrote:
You may see a big improvement with a good cleaning. However, There are some rubber parts especially that should be replaced. O rings etc, considering the age of the bike they have to be in need of renewing....

I would check Randakks.com. He will have everything you need and the quality is the best...
hay--i`ll second that .

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Or you can give it a seafoam treatment or two be forehand. Not much to loose there. :) :waving:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Is there another thread with a history of said bike? What has been done since when???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.