Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If so, what was your solution? Please refer to attached photo.

Considering I have had the bike almost three years now, the dealership is not willing to do anything about it, although the bike is still under warranty. Their reasoning is that it can be caused by neglect.

Honda acknowledges a problem early on with the seat design, but according to the dealership, Honda would only do something about it within the first 30 days of delivery. I am a little past the first 30 days...

Any and all provided information is greatly appreciated.

I should mention, that both my wife and I never use the seat padding as a lift for opening the trunk. When we bought the bike, there was a small gap. It has since grown and looks awful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Best bet is to write to Honda directly and show them the pictures. Let them know that you would be interested in someday purchasing another Honda but if they will not cover this under warranty, you might give consideration to other brands. Sometimes you need to bypass the dealer and go direct.

Good luck.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately all the GL1800s seem to go like that. I seen various half-measure fixes on the 1800 boards that either didn't last for me or caused the material to mark (from inserting strips etc). What happens is that the backing bends out from the trunk at the egdes.
Ie-mailed the wingnut about this (this was before he had set up the forum here) and he suggested removing the pad and the staples and using a heat gun or hair dryerto get the backing pad back in shape and letting it cool down before stapling the cover back. I tried this and it worked great. I had to be caereful not to melt the foam (if I was doing it again I would remove the foam first and glue it back on after). My brother is a retired upholsterer and he stapled the cover back on afterwards.
That was over two years ago and the pad is just recently starting to show a gap again, so I might fix it again this year.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

That would conceal it all right Redwing, but I'm not sure if leaving the gap would look better!

[align=center]
[/align]

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

You must be joking. :grinner: I have seen this in real life on my neighbours :18red: and it looks a great fix. :clapper:It looks so good that it looks normal. :weightlifter:The way that 03Silver describedhis fix doesn't work as he has discovered. :whip:

:jumper::18red::jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

It lasted Ambrose over 2 years Redwing and the gap is just starting to reappear. Thats good going. The rubber strip is fine as well, but as the gap gets bigger the strip doesn't work as well, I've seen some pictures of a severly gapped one with the strip installed on one of the 1800 forums last year.
The only thing about Ambroses cure is it's a lot of work and I'd be afraid of making a hash of it if I had an 1800.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
It lasted Ambrose over 2 years Redwing and the gap is just starting to reappear. Thats good going. The rubber strip is fine as well, but as the gap gets bigger the strip doesn't work as well.
Hey Jason :waving:My neighbour has this strip fitted on his '02 since new and it's still like the first day it was fitted. :clapper: These things have to be fitted correctly to work properly. :weightlifter:It's just like the photo below. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote: I had mine replaced by selling dealer once, it widened and the crack came back, i just installed a custom seat and backrest, presto no gap now!

JD

USA:clapper:

Jason wrote:
It lasted Ambrose over 2 years Redwing and the gap is just starting to reappear. Thats good going. The rubber strip is fine as well, but as the gap gets bigger the strip doesn't work as well.
Hey Jason :waving:My neighbour has this strip fitted on his '02 since new and it's still like the first day it was fitted. :clapper: These things have to be fitted correctly to work properly. :weightlifter:It's just like the photo below. :clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JD wrote:
I had mine replaced by selling dealer once, it widened and the crack came back,
Hey JD :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper: What does the above mean. :stumped:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.