Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just picked up an 82 GL -parked since 1999. It looks as though it was kept in the garage - fairly good shape. 64,000 miles - won't start. I tried gumout in the air intake and it coughs and sputters and does try to run. I haven't got the manual yet, but until then - any ideas? I looked at the removing the carbs - but without the manual am reluctant to jump in and screw something up.

slide in Houston, TX

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

If it's firing up with a squirt of gumout then you migt just have stale gas in the carbs, or most likey the carbs are furred up inside. Drain the carbs first and see what comes out. Then get a can of gas and a petrol hose and connect the back end of the fuel pump to the hose and put the other end into the can of fresh gas. Then see if that will get the engine idling properly. If if still doesn't, then you will probably have to pull the carbs.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey slide222, :waving:Your very welcome to the forum. :clapper:I see you hail from Texas thats where I buy all my bits from Sam at http://www.wingtoys.com/ Happy new year. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If it's been sitting since '99, as a matter of course I'd rebuild (clean)the carbs, remove and clean the gas tank, and change the fuel filter and lines.

After sitting that long (unless the carbs were completely drained before storage), the elements of gasoline (octanes and other hydrocarbons) chemically combine into solids and the lighter elements evaporate out, leaving an unuseable sludge. This is what gums up the carbs on motorcycles in storage.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Lucky for you to have an 82 wing to play with! :clapper:

I've just finished a restore of a 79 GL1000 on a tight budget and one of the things that I tried to not to overspend on were the carb kits. Rather than spend 35 dollars on each kit I opted to purchase primary and secondary orings and float bowl gaskets and air-cut-off valve only. I got all of the other orings from local autoparts stores. I bought a gallon of Gunk carb dunking solution and let them soak for days.

I would really suggest an overhaul. It is not dificult. Just take a few pics on disassembly (I lost track of where two springs belonged, but this forum rescued me). Just be clean and organized. Also, clean up the cv pistons really carefully and many people say not to mix them up.

Good luck and have fun, Jim

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks - I'll give that a try until I get the manual. I've been out of the 'wing' business since '88 when I sold my 84 GL1200. Appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Redwing:

I'll give them a look see. I haven't been chasing wing parts for a while - so any tips will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks - I cleaned the varnish from the top of the pistons - weren't too bad. I suspect the bike wasn't drained when it was set up. Appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Jim:

I'm looking forward to getting inside this thing. So far, I need a right exhaust - the carbs cleaned, and the rear brake pedal is frozen. I haven't picked up the manual yet so I'm reluctant to get to deep yet. I'm just anxious to get started. I do so appreciate this forum.I suspect I'll need it as I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks much - I drained the carbs last night and the gas really didn't look too bad. I'm hoping to get this thing up and going by spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.