Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

when i install belts on flat fours heres a trick i use, before i install the radiator i hook the bike to a garden hose and run it with the belt covers off. this allows me watch the belts and check the tension. a few pvc fittings is all it takes. walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
That is good thinking walkabout. :thumbsup:
+1

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Would it do any harm to run the engine for a few seconds without attaching the radiator? The engine would only have to run for a short time maybe a minute or less, to check the new belts are fitted right.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

beertap tom wrote:
Would it do any harm to run the engine for a few seconds without attaching the radiator? The engine would only have to run for a short time maybe a minute or less, to check the new belts are fitted right.
I certainly wouldn't be afraid to run it a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I would be against running it. Probly the heat would not harm it to much but the water pump seals need coolant for lubrication. The water hose ideais good. and easy. No need to make an adapter just run the hose into the intake sideof the rad hoses and turn on water. This would have to be done outdoors or over a drain
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

I'm glad it's worked for you. I can see the benefits, but I'd be concerned about leaving mineral laden tap water in the system. Also have to wonder about what it does to the thermostat? Household water pressure runs around 60 psi. Cold water at 60 psi will only flow by forcing the thermostat open, against what it is designed to do. Not sure if that is damaging to the temperature sensing bead or not. Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

i would not run a 1200 without water, if you damaged the water pump seals it would be expensive and you would end up taking the bike apart again to fix the pump. the point of running it on a hose is so you dont have to take it apart twice if a mistake is made fitting belts, ( read timing) i should have explained this a little , i take the thermostat out, i open the valve on the hosejust enough to get a nice flow through, this way no pressure is built up. i leave the hoses on and push a piece of pvc pipe with garden hose adapter fitted into the radiator hose. when done drain it,the bottom hose fits on a elbow, if that is loosened almost every bit of the water will drain out so thats not a concern. once the fittings are made up they will last forever and they are not expensive. just throw them in the tool box for next time.. hope this helps. regards walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

If ou where just going to run it for a short time you could also make up a hose to connect the 2 rad hoses. you could then fill the system with coolant ad fire it up would run just like normal till the thermoatate openned
wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's a different idea. The only thing I've ever done with garden hoses and motorcycles was in my teens when I needed to 'borrow' some gasoline for my Triumph.

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
imported post

After reading Exavid's answer it made me think of a story I heard on Paul Harvey a long time ago. There was an elderly couple who had a motorhome. It's #1 fuel tank was more than sufficient but on occasion the holding (Septic) tank would fill up too quickly. Of course they did the natural thing and converted the #2 gas tank to a holding tank. Worked great for the elderly couple but not so much for the kids that tried to siphon gas from the tank. Imagine the surprise on the old guy to walk out and find a siphon hose hanging from a converted holding tank and no one around. That is poetic justice. :wtf:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.