Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a refurbished 2730. I was told that I would be eligible for a free update to the 2009 maps. When I called to register the unit I was then told no, it was too old and didn't qualify.

I got a hold of one of the senior techs who did a little wiggling and now I have an update on it's way at no charge.

Those of you considering other brands, Garmin's service is hard to beat. Just ask any of the people who have sent in older units only to get back a new (refurbished) unit at no cost.

Burt
The secret to old age is younger women, older whiskey, and more horsepower!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

thats good to know, tomtom has a crap service, if you bought a month old unit from someone else and not a dealer they dont want to know as they said the guy could have put third party software on ti and corrupted it, also after a short while they stop supporting older units, its a pity as i prefer the tomtom over the garmin screen just not their attitude

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I love my garmin.. I downloaded a herse for my onscreen car and have an undertaker as the voice... To kewl :cool:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking about buying my daughter a GPS for Christmas. Thank you for that recomendation. I have a Navman, It is pretty basic. It works but haslots of gltches and no extras at all. I wouldn't buy another.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I pretty much did the same thing. Garmin sent me the 2009 map set at no cost. The next GPS I buy will definitely be a Garmin...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

Not so! Sorry to say. I have used Garmin for almost ten years, and during that time I have had great service and updates. Till Now. Try and get the update for your 08 GL1800 (purchased the last day of November). Called Garmin and asked for a free update, as the version on my wing was Version 8 dated May 2006!!!!!

Garmin will be happy to sell me an update for $200.00, but would not update. I still use Garmin, and will continue to do so, just not real happy. Have ordered a Zumo 550, and will use the onboard nav for the "big picture".

Doc

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

clarkjm,

The relationship between Garmin and Honda is rather infamous.

The unit in the 1800 is not a standard Garmin product.

I will vouch for the comments on the Garmin stuff, they have always taken care of me when I needed them...

2730, a 350 Nuvi, a 250 Nuvi, a 750 Nuvi for my wife's brother.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have three garmin units plus the unit in my 1800. I have found them to be rock solid and Garmin's service excellent. I think the trouble with the 1800's is Honda not Garmin.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Right you are, Honda has an agreement with Garmin to produce units to the Honda specs. Annual upgrades through Garmin or Honda result in the transfere of $200 from your bank account. :X

I still use my trusty old Zumo 550 and receive the free annual upgrade plus more info.

Zumo programming is far superior to the Honda unit. (It tells me when to pee and other things too) :D

Also the service from Garmin is second to none on the Zumo. (registration recommended)

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I do work for a contractor that loves his magellen. He had a little trouble with it and called to get it worked on. Was planning on sending it in and needed the address.

They told him to just sit tight, within an hour the fedex man showed up with a box already labeled and paid for.

Now me personally, I go to the local Wally Mart when I need up dates on my Rand McNally.:cheeky1:

It does have quite a few points of interest, but I'm so hard of hearing the I can't hear the turn commands when it's laying in my saddlebag. :baffled:

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I fly by seat of the pants and have never yet failed to get where I'm going. If I don't know where a town is I look at a map, put it away and go there. I don't like something telling me it doesn't like the route I take, used to have a wife for that and didn't like it when she did it either.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I just bought a Nuvi 250. You're right, the thing is pretty goofy, especially when you KNOW that main highway takes you there quicker than the route given. But I just moved to a 'new' city so it's been very helpful getting around.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin. The Streetpilot i3. It's a VERY basic unit but does what I need it to. However I was unimpressed with the support from Garmin. I did not get the setup disc with it. When I contacted Garmin about it I was told the disc was UNAVAILABLE. However they were willing to sell me one for $90. How the hell can they sell me something that is UNAVAILABLE????

So I spent an afternoon fiddling with it and hacked the 2009 update. I don't exactly have a perfect full featured installation of Mapsource...but I do have all the maps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.