Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are any of the less expensive GPS systems worth buying? I know that several members use them but I don't want to spend any more than necessary when I buy my first one. I am sure that opinions will vary greatly, and I'm just looking for a little feedback.

Blessings

Steve-O

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It ain't a Garmin but it's hard to beat especially a refurb unit at this price. Mine has been performing excellently on my bike for the past couple years.

Refurbished Roadmate 2200T

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank You Exavid, that is very affordable. It was not so important about the Garmin brand name for me, It was just the only name I could remember, and with yours being a couple of years old and still OK, you couldn't ask for much more, in that price range. I saved the site to my favorites, it looks like they have quite a few things of interest. Thanks Again.

GOD Bless
Steve-O (b679995)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

b679995,

I just did a real fast read on the features of the 2200T

It has everything my expensive Garmin 2730 offers.
Heck of a deal, you can't go wrong with it.

Best part, internal battery. My 2730 does not, and that part is a pain...

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

keep an eye on deal sites where people post deals on all sorts of goods they find. http://www.fatwallet.com is just one of them. You do not have to pay much for a good unit nowadays! I bought my Garmin 350 (now discontinued) over the summer for $200 (and I looked everywhere for the best price). Now the prices have dropped by about $50 to $75. :doh:

I would stick with the bigger name brands, ie. Garmin, Tomtom, Mio, etc., just so you know you can get updates and support if needed.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Hi. Have a garmin Nuvi 250 on my GL1500.
Has proved invaluable.
Inbuilt battery, able to find a park and put it in pocket to walk to address.
Can change from map view to statistics view.
Able to compare on=road speed between spedo and unit. Not much in it but I know the garmin is more accurate:):)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It ain't a Garmin but it's hard to beat especially a refurb unit at this price. Mine has been performing excellently on my bike for the past couple years.

Refurbished Roadmate 2200T
I've been looking at those too and like what I see about them. They also will interface with your computer via usb cable. I just wonder if it'll take maps created with MS Streets and Trips? Also I haven't checked yet to see if a Ram mount is made for them.

Ok, I found a bike mount for it on Amozon.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
imported post

I had a referbished Megellan that I paid about $150 for it on ebay. It lasted a whole week. I was so frustrated that I went out and got a Garmin Zumo 550. Yeah, I went overboard quite a bit, but, after having it for a year and 10,000 miles, I think that it's worth every penny I invested in it. Never a problem.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

w5blt wrote:
I had a referbished Megellan that I paid about $150 for it on ebay. It lasted a whole week.
I suppose it's possible to have problems with anything but I have had my Magellan on my bike for a good length of time now including some long trips and plenty of exposure to rain and haven't had any problem with it. There are occasional errors in the mapping but I guaran dam tee you'll find that in all GPS units, the maps these companies buy to install are not perfect and are unlikely ever to be perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

only thing i would say is get one suitable for motorbikes ie waterproof, i have a garmin zumo and its a great bit of kit but have also had none biking ones and trying to keep the water off them is a nightmare

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

I had been looking at the Garmin Quest but after readingthis topic and a few more onseveralotherGPS units I done some online research and decided on the Magellan Roadmate 2200T. Found a 'NEW' one for $99.99 and have it on order :cool:

Thanks exavid for all the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.