Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Garmin navigation routes from computer

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  filterx 
#1 ·
Finally I found a combination that may work for me.

The Garmin LM65 has a nice big screen and an SD card port. It has the ability to customize a route, but the interface for that is a bit clunky.

Then I found Tyre {http://www.tyretotravel.com/}
It is a free to download program that allows you to set your own routes on your computer, then copy them to an SD card and use them in the Garmin. The interface is fairly friendly, and I am learning to use both the Tyre and importing to the Garmin, but it looks very promising.

Last fall I used it to select a route using a Butler paper map, entering it into the Tyre program and import into the Garmin. The Garmin end was a little clunky, but I will say Operator Error, as it was my first attempt.

#3 ·
I like Tyre because you can look at you paper map, drop a point on the computer map, very simple to build a custom route. My only issues so far is with the Garmin using the Tyre route, but like I said, probably operator error.

Maybe get a whippersnapper to guide me?!?

#4 ·
If you want another free easy option for creating GPX files.

Either via a web browser or you can download and use on a laptop etc.

See next post for the link

#7 ·
John,
I used YouTuber Jobybyme tutorials to set up for the eastern Oregon trip last year. I did a map in Google Maps for each day, imported the .kmz files into BaseCamp and saved them to my Garmin. It worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.