Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I have the GL1500. Bought a RAM mount purportedly designed for the clutch fitting on the Goldwing. Well, absolutely no way this fits right, out of the box. The screws are way too long, spacers similarly too long, and it doesn't fit with the stock screws either. At the very least different length screws are required (I see a trip to ACE coming up), and the spacers need to be tweeked as well. Am I just missing something? Have you all found it to be a decent fit?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

I got one for my Nuvi when I had the 1500 from Cyclegadgets.com, and it came with 3 sets of screws, and I just had to pick out the correct ones and it fit fine, and now I have it on my 1800, and it fits good there too. The part that fits on the clamp, will only fit correctly one way, and the spacers worked just fine on mine.:?

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Gene. The Mount Guys may have sent me the wrong kit. The RAM web site doesn't detail the kit components down to the screws and spacers. But their site recommends the "RAM-B-174" kit for my Goldwing. I got a "RAM-B-174-GA" kit from Mount Guys. Don't know if there is a difference or not. But the screws I got were only 2" long--a 6mm set and a 1/4-20 set. Both way too long. ANd the spacers are too long as well.

Real PITA, since I'm ready to do a long trip and need the NUVI mount. I should probably not have ordered from Mount Guys.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,778 Posts
imported post

I bought all of my RAM mounts from a local dealer and fashioned them all together to get what I wanted.

the screws for the goldwing fit perfectly, replaced the original Honda screws.

sounds like you got the wrong kit.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Well, the RAM-HB1 is the base mount to mount to the clutch clamp that I used. Plus, I added an extra ball to it to mount my cup holder to it, so I have the Nuvi mount and a cupholder coming off the left handlebar.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Alls well that ends well. A quick trip to Ace Hardware for some 6x35mm allen head machine screws and we're good to go. Can't adjust the RAM mount as much as I'd like, but its very secure.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Hears what i did on my 1500SE I bought the Ram mount that has a small ball an flat plate four two screws and mounted it just be low the key then got the clamp and cradle works vary well you can adjust vary easy and its right in the middle

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Paul, I think you have a better idea. I can't really adjust this thing as much as I want.

By the way, got a great email from the Ram company itself, confirming that I got the wrong kit. So their customer service has to be fairly good. Of course, they didn't offer to actually help, like in sending the right screws, just wanted to see how I felt, I guess......

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

redlord wrote:
Hears what i did on my 1500SE I bought the Ram mount that has a small ball an flat plate four two screws and mounted it just be low the key then got the clamp and cradle works vary well you can adjust vary easy and its right in the middle
Do you know the part number for that please.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.