Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can't afford a Zumo, and saw the Nuvi 250 at Costco for $125 after a coupon they're offering. Anyone use these on their bikes, despite the lack of waterproofing? It would be my first mapping GPS and it would also be used in my car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris,

I use that model and you can buy a neoprene cover for it that makes it 99% waterproof. I have had no bother with it at all. Hope this helps.:cool::action:

ps I just ordered a handlebar bracket from Ram Mount online

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

I have a Nuvi 200 that i use in the car, i once tried it on the bike but the picture was not very clear do to the brightness of the day light. Maybe this only apply to the Nuvi 200 and not the 250.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I have a Nuvi 200 and use it on my bike and semi and truck... Love it :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I use a Nuvi 350 In the cage and on the bike. Works fine but I take it off when it rains.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We have the nuvi 250w & 750w, use them both on the bike with a waterproof mount, works fine - still readable & touch screen works. :waving::action::action:

http://www.gpscity.ca/aqua-box-mount

Attachments

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I use the Nuvi 250 on the bike and the cages, works great. Didn't know about the waterproof cover though, would be nice to have for the bike when it might rain on my parade. The only complaint I have about the Garmin, is that the maps for Memphis will send you all over the place even though you want to stay on I40, it detours you off the interstate, around several side streets, and back onto the interstate. Apparently the maps think that the interstate is still under construction thru Memphis. I aways check a real map prior to entering a large city so that I can tell if the GPS might be sending me on a wild goose chase. Other than that, it has been spot on, even at Calhoun, and to the Dragoon, it was right on, whereas certain people's onboard GPS sent them almost off roading while leading a group to the Dragoon.:shock:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

I got the neoprene cover when I was living in Canada and it's not made specially for the Garmin but rather an mp3 player of about the same size, will look and see if I can find it online for you. But it fits like a glove and works really well, even in Ireland where the rain never stops!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I have the Nuvi 260W on a Ram mount on the clutch side. It works great. When it rains I either slip a ziplock bag over it or if the rain is really heavy I just put it in the trunk for a while. I also rigged a cigarett lighter socket in the trunk to recharge the Nuvi and my MP3 player overnight.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the Nuvi.

It sounds like it is a good, affordable alternative to the Zumo:cool:.

What mount are ya'll (that's Texan - I hope I spelled it right!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:) using?

T.C.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,194 Posts
imported post

I have the 350 model. My only complaint is that fact it does not have a way to return immediately to the map page, or go direct to the FIND new address page.

I also have a Garmin 2730 which has those buttons on the outside of the case. Guess I'm spoiled.

The 350 does a good job of getting me where I want though. It has a better map than my 2730 which I need to pay for an update :(

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I have the 250 and I use it all the time in the car and on the scooter.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I had a 260 for a week and took it back.Worked OK,but the speaker sounded like one of those bad speakers at a drive through.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have a StreetPilot c550. I tryed mounting it with a RAM on the clutch side but these Pa. roads will rattle your teeth out. I had it pop off the mount and was lucky to catch it. I now have it mounted in front of the gas tank where the emblem is. I rplaced the emblem with a peice of plastic sheeting about the same thickness. Made a "L" bracket and screwed a RAM mount to it. The GPS rides there extremely well. I use a baggy over it when it rains and no probs.

My camera is on the clutch side and does very well there,,,,,, it's a different tiype of RAM mount.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Yeah, I don't think the 250 has voice on it. Pretty basic unit, which I like.
Our 250w has it's own speaker, but not what you could hear while riding. :action:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I have the 350 Nuvi, it has mp3 capabilities and I plug the sound cable into my fm modulator, not only do I get the songs playing on the radio but the voice telling me the directions.
Unfortunately it doesnt have the option to accept routes made on the computer. I get around that by making POI's telling me which way to turn on the computer and importing them into the nuvi. A bit cumbersome but it worked OK backroading down to Calhoun. Also you can get around the 1000 mp3 limit by joining 2 or 3 mp3's together, there is no limit on the size.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Tin-Can wrote:
What mount are ya'll (that's Texan - I hope I spelled it right!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:) using?

T.C.
Y'all = you all

So the apostrophe goes between the "y" and the "a", not the "a" and the "l".:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.