Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Wingers,

I just installed a Garmin on my Wing1500. Any way to make a safety tether line somehow to attach to the gps? I don't think with it being behind the windshield that it would ever come off. Anyone out there
have a garmin mounted on bike who have done this? I have it mounted just in front of the gas cap on the flat area.

Thanks,
Wingrider59

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
How about something like a Rudy's keeper that he makes so you don't loose side panels on the bike. It has a tether on it and they attach with sticky pads. That should work for you.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Hey Wingers,

I just installed a Garmin on my Wing1500. Any way to make a safety tether line somehow to attach to the gps? I don't think with it being behind the windshield that it would ever come off. Anyone out there
have a garmin mounted on bike who have done this? I have it mounted just in front of the gas cap on the flat area.

Thanks,
Wingrider59
I stuck a Garmin suction cup mount right where you mentioned and I doubt you could pry it off today(5 years later).I mounted another one up on the ign key bezel with a Ram mount and liked it better,because you didn't really have to look down too far.Better line of sight to me.Hate the handlebar mounts.looking in the wrong direction.JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
zip tie the power cord to the mount and when/if it flies off the power cord will catch it

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I've had Garmins mounted on the windshield, both sides of the handle bars, ignition switch area like Chiris & the spot in front of the gas tank and on our BMW for the Alps tour, never had a problem, I think you can relax & ride :waving:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just curious as to whether a Garmin comes with the suction cups or if you need to order a kit of some sort.

Like yourself, I think that the suction cups can hold for what seems like an indefinite period if the surface was clean when they are mounted.

Thanks,
SG

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
RAM Mount. Suction Cup

RAM Mounts sells a huge collection of pieces/parts for mounting virtually anything ( like a GPS ) anyplace ( like the locations mentioned previously in this thread ). they sell a good suction cup that i've used for 5+ years when i want to share the Garmin with my car. I have used the RAM system for my Nuvi mounted on the right handlebar ( barely visible in my avatar ).

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
Personally, for car or truck use, I use Garmin's lead shot bean bag mount. Flop it up there just any ole place and it stays.

On the bike, I use a ball mount and cradle.... going to have to decide which cradle though to fit my current GPS which is a Garmin 1450.

on the GL1500 the Garmin bean bag sat on the ignition switch panel and was rock solid. I don't think it will do so well on the 1800.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I've got an older Nuvi 680 mounted on my windshield.
Like it there because in my line of sight and out of the rain.
I've had it come loose on a rather bumpy road, but had a leash on there for peace of mind.
Just use a zip tie mounting pad on the back of the unit, a fishing steal leader, and a carbiner hooked to the bike.
Is it necessary, no, but feel better with it.
BTW - I use the same set up for the side & fender panels on the bike. Of course I did this after I'd already lost a fender panel.....had to learn the hard way.............
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Zip-T...295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d9a67c0f

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
definitely need tether for suction mounts. I use 2 key rings and fishing leader line. one key ring fits under key head, other slips over the ball pivot on gps, leader line to both rings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.