Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike is in perfect tune. Ignition perfect, plugs perfect, idles great, just readjusted carb sync after carb work. However, sometimes i get fuel starvation symptoms. I seem to have 'negative pressure' in my fuel tank -- ie, air rushes in when i open the cap. I'm assuming that these Gl1000s have vented gas caps? I read of someone else with similar problems on a 77, where they had a Gl1100 cap fitted (non-vented). It would seem this 'vapour lock" is causing a vacuum in the tank, not allowing fuel flow. Can someone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I don't remember any vacumm in the tank on the '78 I used to have. Can you run with the cap a bit loose to see if the starvation problem goes away?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Johnmac is right... It there was a vacuum problem leaving the cap loose for a test run would prove that.

Normally when I remove the cap from mine I had just a little pressure. PUFF! and thats about it... This after at least a 10-20 mile run...

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, guys. Actually, all i get is a little 'whoosh' when the cap is opened. I guess this is normal? When i pull the fuel line off, with the tank not full, gas doesn't run out the petcock, though.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I think the gas will run out on it's own only when the tank is close to full. The rest of the time the fuel pump is needed.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So, likely i don't have a problem?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks, Ben. I also know that the system isn't gravity fed, so that makes sense. It will flow when 3/4 or more full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.