Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, sigh of relief, I think. The recent maladies that I've been having on this 82 Interstate gl1100 seam to all have stemmed from float valves that weren't sealing, that allowed gas to fill the cylinders, ultimately, draining into the crank case. Had tons of white smoke, often couldn't even turn motor over, very bad gas mileage when it would run, 2 of 4 cylinders were cold fouled constantly, and the list goes on.

With everyone's help, I think I've got it licked, tore apart the carbs again, did external float leak test, they are now holding tight. The crankcase oil was very very thin, and about 8 quarts worth. I know exactly how much oil I put in on the last change, so the extra 4 quarts must clearly be gasoline.

So, what to do? I've drained the crankcase, will do a flush. Do I need to change the oil filter? Will gasoline ruin the element? I've read about 'fouled' plugs that need to be replaced---I'm getting spark, and they run, maybe not as good as it should (due to the carbs not being fully sync'd yet, and gas still all over the place. I'd figure that if they spark, they're good right? can a plug be diminished in ability after a significant fouling?

Having just finished draining the crank case, I'm hoping that the starter being hard to turn the motor over was a direct result of an overfull crankcase. The cylinders aren't hydrolocked (as they were very recently), so I'm semi concerned that either the starter has taken too much abuse, or that the gas did something else?

Fingers crossed, and oppinions/advices most welcomed.

Bob

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob,
Curious what you mean by "gas still all over"? I recently went through getting gas in my crank from what I thought to be a Float problem.. Wrong.... Was gasket/o-ring from carbs to plenum that gas flows through.:bat:

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Bob on the sparkplugs if you have run an fouled them out to thepoint they have to cleaned to work again-- chunk em and put in new ones.ain't worth the worry at less than two bucks a plug.

Good chance you have scorched your starter brushes and copper commutator from stalling or cranking for long periods of time. If it don't perform, only thing to do is pull it and inspect it for damage or wear, repair or replace.

After haveing fuel in the oil system you need to change the oil and filter. With the gas in the crank case you have washed all the contaminated dirt and debris into the crankcase. The filter is more than likely full of crap.

oh yeah use the petcock (fuel valve) when not running the engine or parked. Won't fix nuthin, just keeps the fuel in the tank if you have a leaking float valve and the engine not running. :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yep, Keno has it right in IMHO..except I clean up plugs all the time..wire wheel and gap and they have always worked just fine..8 bucks is 8 bucks???

Although with a gallon of gas in the crank I'd be worried about my clutch plates.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

The clutch plates should be fine. The excess gas will evaporate and they will dry out. As for the starter it could be toast, but make sure your battery is fully charged before you really decide to pull, clean and rebuild the starter. While your still in the trouble shooting mode, I'd clean up the plugs and use them until you get the other problems solved. Then replace your plugs when your ready to hit the road.
Just my two cents!
Rumple

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.