Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am the very proud owner of my Dad's 1982 GL 1100. I have spent a couple of years restoring it and I must say she looks great. However, recently the gas gaugehas not been functioning properly. When the key is in the start position the gauge will show the gas level but when I start riding the gauge goes all the way down to RES. I'm not really sure how to attack this problem and thought that maybe one of you may have heard of this problem before. I'm hoping for an easy fix.

Thanks,

T. Scott

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I am not sure if this applies to you since my bike is a 1500. My gauge was acting up and and I found that the fuel level sensor was not functioning properly. More specifically, there is an electrical contact on the sensor located on the side of my fuel tank that had rotted a bit from years of use; I could see hint of fuel seeping around it. Since the assembly was not available accoring to Honda and Bike Bandit, I rebuilt the contact using a screw, nut, fuel resistant, washer, and Permatex fuel resistant gasket maker. Works great. Once in a while, I do see fuel level sensors on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

If your temperature Gauge works correctly it is not your 7 volt Auxiliary Regulator. Do not connect 12 volts to the Fuel Level Sensor in the top of the fuel tank.
The fuel float at the top (full) should read 6 to 10 ohms. Fuel float at the bottom (Empty) should read 75 to 80 ohms. It is possible the float is sinking in the fuel.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I doubt it's a problem with the seven volt regulator unless the temp guage is acting up to which mochilla didn't mention. The drop in the guage indicates a drop in voltage across the meter which could be a defective sensor in the tank or loose wiring. The sensor is easy to check, remove the seat, tap the ring loose on top of the tank so you can pull the sensor out. With the sensor out and still connected move the float arm up and down slowly watching your guage. If it moves smoothly in agreement with the float arm the sensor is okay.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same problem on my 1100. I ended up removing the spade terminals at the sending unit,polishing the blades on the sending unit itself,and replacing the wire terminals. I also "crimped down" the opening of the wire terminal itself for a good snug fit on the blade. Been working good for 2 years now.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Wing Ding,

Thanks for the reply. I need a little more clarification on where exactly to find the things that you were talking about. I will try and do what you did since you said that my problem sounded like what you experienced. If you could just tell me where to look I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

T. Scott

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

ON top of the gas tank under the seat..remove seat..you'll see the top and the sending unit..tap off the locking ring and remove the unit the two taps on top where the wires attach are what he's talking about hook your meter to them and then move the float arm up and down..

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I cleaned up the connections at the fuel sender and made sure everything was tight. The gauge worked well yesterday and on the way to work this morning... I think all is well with it now.
Thanks to all that helped me out with this.

T. Scott

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
imported post

I am having some trouble with my fuel, and temp. guages. They both read lower than they should. Can you help, I dont know where the voltage regulator for the guages are located, it is a1200 1984 Interstate. Thanks Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.