Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently noticed that my gas guage is not showing the correct amount of gas that remains in the tank. Example - I drove 110 miles. I started with a full tank. When I returned my gas guage was well below the half tank reading. Actually it was closer to the bottom mark on the guage then a half tank. When I filled the tank to tood 2.3 gal. To check this problem I filled the tank again and rode 95 miles. Again the needle on the guage was well below the half tank mark. I went and filled the tank and it took 2.2 gals

I am planning on a ride to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and I would really like to be able to rely on the guage so that I can stop for gas when necessary.

Any help that someone could provide on a fix for this would be most appreciated.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

Your tank holds 6.3gal. You are getting 43.1mpg according to your last fillup. Just keep a mental note on your next fillup (and reset the trip meter)...you should go 160-180 miles and still put less than 5gal in the tank.

Mine is the same way....the needle won't move until I have about 40-45 miles on the tank...and then you can see it move the more you ride. It is the shape of the tank that causes the "delay" and the way the needle moves.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Hears what i did i removed the seat and then lifted the fuel pump and siphoned all the gas out of the tank then put 1 Gal back in the tank . I then removed the float and ajusted it so the gauge was just above the red mark it now works fine win get 200 miles its on the red line then the low fuel light comes on

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

my 94 was sitting on red line, empty, put in 3.5 gal.

i was wondering if fuel level sensor was bad?

mark:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Schatts! :waving::waving:

Your low fuel light should come on when there's almost exactly one gallon of fuel in the tank, it's worth checking that out too.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Paul

Would the manual show the float in the tank and how to adjut it??

Thanks for your input on this fix??

How would I know if the sender is the problem?? Any suggestions....

Oh I used to live just outside Wooster... Been a few years since I lived in Ohio

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

ther is away to check the float if you have clymers it shows you . the float is on left side you have to remove the cover i think ther is 4 bolts the just slide the float out

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

I do what Snorebaby does I reset my trip meter each fillup when I get to around 160 to 180 miles I start looking for a gas station. I dont think I have ever saw a goldwing gas gauge that was even close. And I don't have the low fuel light on mine as I have an Interstate 95 model I have thought about removing the float and trying that but I am afraid I will make it worse or even that it will stop working all together.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I'll have to get out the manual to see if there is any information there... Thanks again for your input... I won't have time this weekend to try to adjust it but next weekend should work.

I'll let you know it works...

Tks again

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
imported post

Hi all i have exactly the same problem and have had the float out but could not see anyway to adjust it as suggested. Now I just know that a tank will last 300 km and I reset my trip odometer with every fill. My low fuel light works and comes on somewhere over 300km. but 300 is a good point to fillup or at least look for fuel. All the previous bikes I've had do not have a gauge so the trip odometer is always the way to go. Also it gets the butt out of the seat :action:.

G

·
imported post

I think i read somewhere on here that you cn ground a wire and see if the low fuel light comes on but cant remember where.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

redlord wrote:
Hears what i did i removed the seat and then lifted the fuel pump and siphoned all the gas out of the tank then put 1 Gal back in the tank . I then removed the float and ajusted it so the gauge was just above the red mark it now works fine win get 200 miles its on the red line then the low fuel light comes on
could you please elaborate.. book says do not bend float. are you saying it can be done? or am i missing something?

thank you,

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

take the float out take all the gas out of the tank put one gallon back in tank then bend the float arm just a little so your gage shows just above the red E line thats what i did and it works Great when i get 200 miles the gage is siting right on the Red E then the low fuel ligt comes on

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I always go by mileage for gas stops, I just reset my trip meter and fill between 100 and 200 miles, I usually need a brake by then anyway.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

I thought that I would get back to regarding your fix for the gas gauge. I ran the goldwing almost empty to first verify if the safety light came on. Secondly to see if by running it almost empty would reset the mechanism in the tank.

So after running it almost empty, the gas warning light did go on. I put 6.1 gals in and then ran it again yesterday. I put about 100 miles on it. And sure enough the gauge now reads right at half a tank. Unlike before, when I put the same miles on the bike, the gauge was just above the bottom line.

Thanks for your input. I hope that this corrects my problem. If not I'll do as you recommended.

Bill

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I was wondering the same thing. I too go by the trip odometer. At 180 miles I start looking for a gas station.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

tommy421960 wrote:
I think i read somewhere on here that you cn ground a wire and see if the low fuel light comes on but cant remember where.

[align=left]Remove the seat (see page 13-8).[/align]
[align=left]Disconnect the WHT/BLU wire connector, pushing the[/align]
[align=left]"Push" marked tab.[/align]
[align=left]Ground the WHT/BLU wire with a jump wire. The fuel[/align]
[align=left]indicator light should come on.[/align]
[align=left]If the light does not go on, check for a short/open circuit in[/align]
[align=left]the WHT/BLU wire harness line or connector.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]That said, I see your signature reads a GL1500 Interstate. I think it has been mentioned before that the interstate does not have the low fuel indicator.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.