Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that I have the carbs balanced and most of the small stuff fixed???.....I just have to ask one question, the bike just drinks gas and I cannot figure out what the problem is??? It starts great, runs and idles fine, does not smoke, no gas dripping out no where. I did ad Sea Foam to the gas and oil and have only driven it about 10 miles but it just seems like my Motorhome gets better gas millage...LOL.....of course I had it idling a lot while adjusting the carbs and other things

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Floats my be set high. When you hit bumps they spill over. I had 1 float stick on my 1100 seem to run ok but gas milage was 1/2 what it was. Fixed the float then got 38 to 40mpg ever since.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

iccats wrote:
Now that I have the carbs balanced and most of the small stuff fixed???.....I just have to ask one question, the bike just drinks gas and I cannot figure out what the problem is??? It starts great, runs and idles fine, does not smoke, no gas dripping out no where. I did ad Sea Foam to the gas and oil and have only driven it about 10 miles but it just seems like my Motorhome gets better gas millage...LOL.....of course I had it idling a lot while adjusting the carbs and other things
So you added Sea foam and have only run it 10 miles??

Sea foam really makes the bike run real rich. Depending on how much you added it can foul the plugs.

Run the full tank of gas-Sea foam out of the bike and then refill with good gas only. It should do better when it is on straight gas.

Change the plugs, make sure the air cleaner is clean and reset the carbs.

Should smooth right out.

Again as in most posts little or no info....just what has been done.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Gone14s wrote:

Sea foam really makes the bike run real rich. Depending on how much you added it can foul the plugs.... snip ??? :?:?

Kurt
Never heard that and mine doesn't seem to burn any more fuel when Seafoam is added. Where did you come by that information?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all I would completely disassemble, thoroughly clean, and replace any worn parts in the carbs. You really can't do much of anything else until the carbs are right. A 1200 with 55K miles has sat for some time, at some point in it's life. I have never bought a used bike that didn't have absolutely filthy carbs, even though some of them ran great. I had no idea why after I saw the inside of the carbs.

Seafoam does not work instantly. I mix the stuff strong, about 2 oz per gallon, and run a tank full of it through the bike about once a month. It will keep the carbs clean once cleaned, but you have to clean them the hard way to start with.

My bike has fuel injection, and it had some serious problems when I first got it. It was getting just under 35 mpg, and would make a lot of black smoke when revved on the stand, even after it warmed up. After finally getting the fuel injection sorted out, it runs a lot better, and doesn't make black smoke anymore, but I haven't ridden it enough to find out about the mileage yet, dealing with other problems.

You are not going to get 50 mpg no matter what. Some single carb 1500 v-twins will, but not the Goldwing. If you can get close to 40, you will be doing great. BTW, is the choke functioning ok?

A lot of people who just bought their bikes have no history on them, and a lot of people are simply not the mechanical type, and do not understand mechanical terms, so they may not know what has or hasn't been done to their bikes. Usually a few posts back and forth will get things straightened out.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Gone14s wrote:

Sea foam really makes the bike run real rich. Depending on how much you added it can foul the plugs.... snip ??? :?:?

Kurt
Never heard that and mine doesn't seem to burn any more fuel when Seafoam is added. Where did you come by that information?
On the back of the can it says to add a can of Seafoam to 26 gals of fuel.
I have been reading where members are adding the full can. This will bring the octane way down of the fuel and foul plugs. Try running a full can in the tank. When the bike smell's of unburnt fuel, pull and check your plugs!
A couple of oz's to a tank is fine from time to time to keep the system clean.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

An ounce per gallon is what everyone on my Vulcan 750 forum uses, I have used twice that much with no problems, and no fouled plugs. I several different bikes. But not a Goldwing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

First! Before you do anything else, ride the bike. Get out and do a 300 mile day at open road speeds. (60~75mph)
Then ride the bike day to day, with a few short trips and one 2000~3000 mile trip each season. Keep track of miles traveled and precice gallons used.
After the bike is getting ridden awhile, your mileage should be around 38~41mpg, depending on the type of driving being done. However, if the bike sits, you will never be able to figure out the actual mpg you are getting.
If the bike runs well, why mess with it?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Dennis, I agree.

The biggest problem I see with bikes is they don't get ridden.

I had people bring me a bike that has been put away for a year or two. I clean the carbs do a full servce on it and they park the bike again:?

I think that if folks that just bought a bike and it run's (may be a little rough) should just change the plugs check and clean the air filter and run the bloody thing for500 miles or so. Then see what they have. Of course do the prevent. maint on it first.

Jerry, your right a few oz's is not going to hurt it. But a full can to 5 gals is real steap.

I have run a full can to a tank some times when I have had a bike just barely running. It will eighter run better or it needs to have the carbs gone threw. But then again I have a sonic tank for cleaning carb's and what have you not.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+2 for riding the bike. And if you have only riddin the bike 10 miles you have know ides how much gas you have used. Do not go by gas gauge it is very inacurate
Wilf

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

After reading all the replies and advice I think I'll do what seems to be most popular.....ride for a few hundred miles and keep track of my millage before I do anything

Thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.