Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, it’s me again. I still haven’t been able to find much time for my “project” but I was wondering about the oil leak the seller told me about. He said he had started the bike last year and after it was running awhile, oil came out of the driveshaft boot. I want to try and crank using the Tech Tips for a GL1000 after a long layup, so I’ve been wondering how bad the leak was and how much oil was lost. I thought I would just drain the oil out, guest-imate how much was there, so I drained the oil. Very, very black, not a surprise I suppose, but when I poured it into old containers I found there is about 5 quarts. The ‘oil’ also seems kind of thin and seems to have a strong gas smell. So if gas has drained/seeped into the crankcase is it from stuck floats, fuel pump issues or what else? The fuel shutoff was in the on position and what little gas is in the tank it is really foul smelling so I’m doubting he really had it going last year. I let gas sit in my lawnmowers and snowblower from one season to the next and it doesn’t smell anywhere near what this does.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

If you have gas in the crankcase it is due to either a float(s) stuck open or a faulty float valve (s) It would probably be a good idea to remove the carbs for cleaningand possibly replacement of the float valves.......

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

These years of wings should never be left with the fuel shutoff valve in the on position. If you leave the valve open they will eventually leak gas into the crankcase. Your oil leak is most likely just a case of the crankcase being over full. These bikes hold about 3 liters of oil.

Do a search and there's some good info on getting these bikes running again. A lot of things you want to check out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.