Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Gas leak 84 1200I

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  crimsonwing 
#1 ·
ive been smelling a lot of gas coming from my bike recently. it makes it hard to breathe at stop lights. along with this i've noticed my gas consumption has gone way up, a tank usually lasts me a week. lately its only been lasting 3-4 days or so. any suggestions on where i should start?

#2 ·
Yikes! That's not safe! You need to find this and quickly.

Is there any gas on the floor of your garage after you ride and park the bike?

Do you turn your fuel petcock OFF when you aren't riding the bike or do you leave it in the ON position?

If you leave it in the ON position the only thing that is keeping gas from overflowing your carb bowls are the float valves in each carb.

Can you SEE gas leaking anywhere when you ride the bike and it's warmed up and just sitting on the center stand in your driveway?

Fuel petcock could be leaking. Any of a number of fuel hoses could be leaking. Your inline fuel filter could be leaking. Check everywhere in the path from the gas tank to the carbs where the fuel flows when the bike is warm and running.

Be careful! If you get enough gas on a hot engine it could ignite. I personally wouldn't ride the bike any more until I found and fixed the gas leak.

Let us know what you find.

#4 ·
i dont ever see any gas at all, only smell it. but ill double check. i don't mess with the petcock at all, i leave it on. im gonna inspect the hoses as best i can and see what i find.

The cheapest place to start would be a new fuel cap seal. Also check the tank seal at the sending unit.

When mine first started smelling of gas it was a float that no longer did. What happens is one of the little tanks springs a leak so it only bogs down a little, unlike a single tank float that drops to the bottom of the bowl, this makes it sag some, keeping the level slightly high.
what and where is the sending unit?

thanks for the replies guys!

#3 ·
The cheapest place to start would be a new fuel cap seal. Also check the tank seal at the sending unit.

When mine first started smelling of gas it was a float that no longer did. What happens is one of the little tanks springs a leak so it only bogs down a little, unlike a single tank float that drops to the bottom of the bowl, this makes it sag some, keeping the level slightly high.

#6 ·
You may want to check the o rings on the fuel transfer tubes,between the carbs.
Mine did this,,and after a week, it started leaking,badly !
I thought the carbs were flooding,ut found bad o rings were the cause.
Ordered a full set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.